Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil, mobil 1 vtwin vs mobil1 vtwin super syn

Inactive
    if you look on ebay you see it for 16.00 a qt for the traditional mobil 1 and then you see super syn for close to same price up to 27.10 per q
    God Almighty! at those prices i'd expect a genie to emerge from the bottle upon opening.

If your not running amsoil or royal purple your hurting your motor don't kid yourself. Like the guy earlier stated all the oil companies have additives that eat at metal except those two companies. I know you can get RP 20W-50 for 11 dollars at my local rp dealer. But if you want the race stuff (xpe of I remember correctly) which (IMO) is thee best oil on the market it's 21 (with tax) a qt though (there's something to complain about for the tight asses). And yes the amsoil 20w-50 is 12 a qt Atleast around this area it is. But seriously. I could never run anything else but these two. Just to ride the bike knowing that about other oils id feel SOOO bad for my baby I couldn't stand it. And FYI this isn't just for my bike. There isn't a motor I own that doesn't run amsoil or royal purple.
    I switched my friends car to it. And I swear everything runs better. Shifts smoother starts easier. Accelerates smoother and better. And the motor it's self runs quieter (smoother)

I don't have any problem with amsoil or mobile 1 but to say any other oil is going to damage your engine is just stupid and ignorant. I guess all those harleys from the past 100 years were just "lucky". There's nothing wrong with conventional/regular/dino oil. Mainly it just breaks down faster. I use synthetic because you can get it for practically the same price, and it has benefits. I do longer change intervals but nothing crazy. There will ALWAYS be metal generation(to some extent) in any engine. I'd never run an engine 25,000 miles, no matter what oil and filter are used. Yes, even if it's amsoil.

JMO, i guess.

I don't have any problem with amsoil or mobile 1 but to say any other oil is going to damage your engine is just stupid and ignorant.

If your not running amsoil or royal purple your hurting your motor don't kid yourself...I could never run anything else but these two. Just to ride the bike knowing that about other oils id feel SOOO bad for my baby I couldn't stand it.
    Assuming were talking about JASO-MA oils within the manufacturers' viscosity specs, I always say the best oil for your motorcycle is the one that gives you the most piece of mind. In your case, this is clearly Amsoil, Royal Purple or nothing. In my case, I sleep perfectly well at night using whatever JASO-MA oil happens to be on sale. In over 20 years of servicing my own bikes this way, I've yet to see any wear-related engine damage. :)

In my experience the OP would be just fine using either mobil 1 v-twin 20w50, and/or its supersyn variant.

First off if oils damage the motor and ams oil does/rp also, then our motors would all have 1 million miles on it as the internals wouldn't wear what so ever. This is stupid to hear from someone. I raced quads and honest to god, I ran amsoil and also a synthetic artic cat quad oil for 16 a gallon off ebay and in my yfz450 the oil change intervals were as recommended every 8-10 hours. When racing it was every 4-6 hrs of time. I took oil samples from both species of names and what I got back was incredibly stupid. The Artic Cat oil actually was better than the AmsOil. I did another sample the next month and it was the same results. The results were from a normal trail ride. Both times I made it on a 75* day in july. The last test I did to the T just to see it again. Both the same hours of riding and both the same temperature/riding style. So I will say Amsoil isn't the best oil. My quad oil was 10w40. I still didn't get a direct answer if the supersyn is the same as the original or if its totally different oil and ppl are taking advantage of the new name saying its better and selling it more.

To be honest I became an amsoil dealer to get good pricing and ran amsoil in my dodge ram for about 50k miles but found it to be a PITA to drive out to the warehouse to get the oil so didn't renew my membership this year. I still plan on finding another source for oil other than the local stores off the shelve but recently I was due for a change and bought mobil 1 from autozone and my ram (has the ohc 4.7L engine) normally had a cold start lash adjuster(or lifter...if you will) tick at cold start no longer had this tapping with mobil 1. I'm not praising mobil 1, just saying amsoil isn't "gods oil".

There's also an EXTREMELY good shop(motorcycles) up the road from me (amazing guy) that used to sell only amsoil and last time I talked to him he said he switched to(can't remember brand) because amsoil didn't meet some standard or something for many manufacturers.

snrusnak also, those 4.7's are very well known for catalytic converter failure at around 88,000 miles only, done over 20 of them already. Another big issue is the camshaft positioning sensor. They collect debris on the end and set the code. Its located on the passenger side front engine on the bottom of the head. You can also scan your truck for error codes by cycling the key from off to on 5 times and on the last cycle leave key in on position and the codes will appear in your trip meter where its digital. Just thought I would throw ya some cool stuff, so ya don't need a scanner just take the P1043 and google it lol.

Thanks I appreciate it but I actually don't have cats on my ram and I do have a scanner. No codes. I am not one to delete cats as they aren't all that restrictive and really help the environment but unfortunately I was lazy and it was a PITA to fit cats into my exhaust so I deleted them...

What the hell....a good thread jack is always in order.... :D

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast