Thread: rebuilding forks

I have been trying to get a quote to get the forks on my xb9s rebuild but I have been answered with, we cannot touch a Buell. Would anyone happen to be close to the Houston, TX are and have the time to show me how? I could come to you and reimburse you for the time spent in showing me. I am a hands on person, but I have never rebuilt anything related to a fork before.

VR,
    Paul

im on the other side of the country from you but rebuilding forks is pretty easy. There was a great 2 part youtube video on how to do buell forks which i followed. Ill see if i can find it.

You will need 3 special tools if I remember correctly. The seal driver- bought mine on ebay, and then the gauge to fill the fluid. I made my own or motion pro sells one. Also need to spring compressor. I think mine was from motion pro as well.

Just an FYI when I took mine to a local shop they said they don't normally work on buells but after bringing them my forks off my xb they said they are just like ducati's (I think)....they knew how to do it and only charged me something like $200.

Pretty super easy, after removing them its a 30 minute deal each side taking your time. I didnt use a spring compressor, just old fashion muscle, alsoi made the seal driver out of a piece of PVC pipe cut in half.

I used a video off youtube to see if it required anything special.

I have been trying to get a quote to get the forks on my xb9s rebuild but I have been answered with, we cannot touch a Buell.
    Sounds like you were fed some BS. If they can work on a Showa fork, which is OEM on just about every manufacturer, they can work on your Buell. Having said that, don't be intimidated; do it yourself! :D

I do all my own work. For $200 bucks you can buy a manual and learn on your own. It's like a night class that is invaluable knowledge. A vise and a small ratchet strap will compress your inner sleeve. All you need is two s hooks, run the strap through the axle. Make a tool to measure fluid. Make a seal driver. Nothing is under pressure to where it's gonna hurt you when you loosen them. Or take the tubes to Honda. They will do it.

I have been trying to get a quote to get the forks on my xb9s rebuild but I have been answered with, we cannot touch a Buell.
    Sounds like you were fed some BS. If they can work on a Showa fork, which is OEM on just about every manufacturer, they can work on your Buell. Having said that, don't be intimidated; do it yourself!
    That's true for the fork but many places wont touch the rest of the bike. They don't want to mess with the brakes, front wheel, triple trees. Shops around me will only change my tires if I bring the wheels in. They wont actually wont on the bike itself, so maybe the OP will have better luck if you offer to bring just the forks in. I agree its a very easy job too. A while back I posted videos of a guy changing everything but they seem to be missing from the internet now. There are a few diy threads on here or badweb maybe with some nice pictures.

a related thread with some tips
    http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...Fork-Rebuild-2