Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grrrrrrrr.... Im 'bout to push her over...

I've never gotten on here to vent but here's whats going on:

'07 12R - 18,xxx

Winterized her in late Oct. Cranked her a few times thru winter as lots of guys do. Last time I started her (early Jan.) she was only bangin' on the front cyl. Whatever, prob a plug wire or something simple. Batt has been low since last riding season. Threw in my spankin' new Yuasa YTX14BS (advertised to work w/ my bike) to see if I could make fire in both jugs. WHOOPS- if the batt terminals aren't flush with the "front" of the batt - sorry, no connecty. They're not flush on the YTX14BS. ****.

Ok, well lets just hook up the batt outside of its resting place and cross my fingers I get "potato-potato-potato" and I'll let it get up to temp, then done for the eve... NOPE.

Turned and turned but wouldn't fire. The few times that I could hear a tiny bit of gas igniting, it sounded as though it was occurring in only one cylinder (I don't know why I thought that if it was only firing on one the last time that it would have magically healed itself just sitting there - I felt like piddling so I did it anyway)

***here's where it got interesting***

I've been around a few loud back-fires in my 31 years but I've never had one cause both of my ears to ring. The bike was on the patio under the den- 7'6" ceiling and open to the night air on 3 sides. I live in the city . I'm straightening up my stuff, ready to leave it alone for the night. Suddenly I see flashlights sweeping the back yard.

"Hey, man. You ok back here?"

"I'm good whats up?"

"You don't have any firearms back here do ya?"

"Nah, If I did though, I might put one or two in this here bike."

I'm standing face-to-face w/ both blues at a fence that separates patio from back yard. Pop's V92C is beside my bike.

"Oh! Hahaha. You had a backfire."

"Yea. A substantial one. I'm done with it for now though"

"We're you about to go somewhere if it started?

"Not tonight."

"Well I just ask 'cause you've got an open beer sittin' there and I can smell it on you"

"Well, that being the case, I had never planned on leaving my property"

"Ok, well... Just checking."

"I appreciate that. You gentlemen can be excused and have a safe night."

They walked back up to the front as I slammed the basement door.

It's gonna be sunny and 70 here in southside Va. on Sunday. Guess who won't be riding?
    Not looking for any advice here, just other folks w/ currently non-running Buells with whom to commiserate. I'm sure I can get a new battery, work through the bug and get on with it. Won't happen this weekend though. I also need new rear rubber and I have to fix my fried out headlight connector.

In regards to the title of the thread - no, I would never push her over. Much less shoot 'er.

What is it all the young folks say nowadays? "FML"?

Backfire means lean is fuel pump priming when you turn key on? Maybe injectors clogged?

Inactive
    NGK DCPR9EIX buy 2.

Lunatic is probably right your plugs could be fouled.

Priming is just fine. Threw in some iridiums abt a year and a half ago. I was under the impression that w/ the iridium plugs you can put them in and forget abt them.

Thx for the replies - and anyone going riding this w/e - have fun!

I've been around a few loud back-fires in my 31 years but I've never had one cause both of my ears to ring.
    Sounds like your bike may have afterfired (rather than backfired) due to a build-up of unburned fuel in the exhaust from all that cranking(?) If so, something is preventing the fuel from combusting:
    - either it's not being ignited (fouled plugs as suggested above or rear ignition lead is bad),
    - or the mixture is wrong (fresh fuel, a TPS reset and injector clean may help),
    - or you've got low compression on that rear cyl (blown head gasket or burned valve).

I'm certainly not guaranteeing any of the above are at the root of your problem, but it's where I would start.

cytosis -

yea that sounds about right. I'd never heard of that before but it was WAY louder than your typical backfire. I know its the rear bc last time I got it to run, hearing that it was down one, I put my hand on both headers. I could leave my hand on the rear. First thing I'll do is put a new set of wires on. I tore the boot up really good and couldn't get it to seat all the way one time a while back when I was impatiently trying to put it back on and get the hell down the road. It always ran fine like that and I didn't fix it until I rotated the motor to do my RB gaskets. Maybe "fixing" it actually broke it. I wish it was as easy as just running to Autozone for a pair.

thanks for the replies

I don't care if you put plus in a year and a half ago or yesterday, plugs get fouled easier than you'd think and especially with less-than-new fuel in the tank. Listen to lunatic.

but but but... I thought the iridium plugs were magical. The gas is definitely a bit old. I put some Sta-bil in when I parked but I've always thought the effectiveness of that stuff was slightly suspect. I usually ride way out of my way to get ethanol free gas and have even taken several gas cans with me in the truck. I don't think I was able to score any on my last fill up before winter (tank was abt 1/3 full). So is there a more simple way to drain the tank besides pulling the line to the pump? Maybe I'll start with some fresh AFTER I finally get the correct battery.

Oh yeah, if you don't have the PureGas app on your smartphone - get it. It will tell you who's selling e-free gas and what grade(s) they have it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast