Thread: New TPS? stuttering etc, checked intakes, engine sound

:( Was hoping I wouldn't fall into the unfortunate category of Buellers who experienced stuttering/hesitating/stalling, but with significant mod changes, I guess I asked for it! I ride an XP Uly, love it, and put full micron plus mapping on the stock ECM (no micron maps aside from Xopti which I tried but didn't work for NZ climate). I also have open airbox, k&n, NGK iridium 9iex plugs and all of that is near new (less than 7months since fitted).

Anyhow, i've gone thru checking valve intakes (no leaking), exhaust system (no leaks), plugs (no fouling), tps resets (can't get bike to idle now...seems getting worse), and idle stepper cleanout and adjustment (mechanic). I've spent only 150bux, but don't want to spend heaps more. I am getting the TPS error code 11, so perhaps its as simple as replacing the TPS. I'll pay 85USD for one from Autozone with free USA shipping (then have family send it over cheaply to NZ), but really hoping that fixes the issue.

Otherwise its dyno-tune time and that is pretty dear plus nowhere near where I live. As for the mapping, a guy who owns the dynotune and an 06 Uly did my fuel mapping. He did it on another XB12 with full micron (only other one in NZ I think) and I rode that b4 using him...map was really good! I got my maps done and went on a tour for 3weeks and the bike rode pretty well. This new TPS issue only suddenly happened. It wasn't gradual. First place I noticed was at lower idle doing about 35miles (50kph), then it died on me a couple times at low idle about 2miles from where I first noticed. That's as far as I needed to go, but in the morning I rode another 50miles on the bike and it would miss a bit at steady 100kph (65mph). I was riding to work and decided to get the bike straight to the shop...where it has now been for a month :(

Other vital info...I run a Gammatronix 12v LED battery indicator and it never flinched from Green. battery is good, resistance is also good on starter etc.

Thanks in advance for any help guys

Another interesting info bit...I have been getting the CEL for several months coming on at steady 100kph, whereby I release the throttle, pull in the clutch completely and let the revs drop totally...the CEL disappears and I keep riding as normal. Wierd, but possibly related to the TPS???

Inactive
    from your post i can't decipher what year your uly is but error code 11 as you stated you have, is TPS fault code for pre 2008 and 2008-2010. if you have that fault code, intermittent surging and stalling, and CEL light on then it seems logical to go ahead and replace the TPS as planned. post back with results when done.

Cheers lunaticfringe, yes mine is an 09/10 Ulysses XP. The only years they made them so its all 08+. Yes again to 11 being TPS code. I have heard so many people have these symptoms and didn't want to assume there wasn't something going on elsewhere than in the tps. My 12v LED battery monitor would have shown some fluctuation in power, which never happened, so I wonder if a faulty TPS will simply just crap out and not lose any voltage to the rest of the system? Its a $100 fix basically, which is fine, but I don't want to buy it and find out that wasn't the problem. I will do a resistance test on the TPS next week and post results. A new TPS means ordering from the states and shipping to NZ so could take at least a week if not more. Just trying to suss other possibilities b4 I order the new TPS. I swapped ECM as I had a spare, and that did not change a thing. It struggles to idle at this point, and the new ecm only showed code 21 (interactive exhaust) which makes sense as I had that shut off on my normal ECM. Interesting it didn't pick up 11 (TPS) or anything else, but then it barely idled for a minute b4 cutting out, and hasn't really had time to 'learn' the engine.

I am currently on the hunt to fix my situation. I found a post on a different forum that was 99% similar to my own and the poster had stated that sometimes the codes that are thrown are a result of what the ECM is doing to keep the engine running.

Here's his story, even if it's not a solution to your problem, it makes you think what is the actual problem.

Mystery 02 Sensor Code 13 fixed

I am waiting for my ignition coil via snail mail. Could have driven 82 miles one way, but was going to waste more gas in the long run.

Cheers!