Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riding position?

Hi everyone,
    I am looking at buying a buell xb12s. I started riding cruisers and have for about 10 years until this past September when I bought a kawasaki 636. I really like the 636 but the riding position, all leaned over, does not agree with much.
    How does the riding position of the lightening compare to that of a sportbike with clipons? I really like the Firebolt and figure I could put a front fairing on the lightening.
    Thanks,
    Luke

The riding position on the Lightning is neutral (not too far forward or back) and very comfortable. You can add clip-ons if you want it more aggressive or add taller bars if you want way relaxed. A taller saddle (like a Corbin) and lower pegs (some come with the lower pegs already on it) really add to your leg room. I have the stock saddle/pegs and am comfortable at 6'3".

You can add a taller fly screen or even a complete fairing. Several people have added the Bolt fairing to the Lightning. I have even seen GSXR fairings added. You can also add an Laminar Lip to the existing fly screen for additional protection.

While it doesn't give you the real seat experience, this website will give you an idea of leg and body position.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Radioactive that's a neat website

super neat site radioactive! I like the comfort of my super TT to the OP. Its easy on my 55 year old back.

I have used that site a lot when looking at different bikes... you can get the angles from your current bike and see how they would compare to something different. Or, put Shaq on a Blast.

Wow, definitely a cool site.

The riding position on a Lightning is very much like the Japanese standards of the 80's= pretty neutral and generally comfortable for anyone.
    I will say though, most people who complain about the riding position of a supersport, ESPECIALLY if the come from a cruiser background, are simply 'doing it wrong'. Sportbikes require you to lock your knees in and support yourself with your core. Just plopping on the seat (like you would on a cruiser) and supporting youself with your arms/upper body is a recipe for sore wrists/back/upper body. I have a feeling that a large number of people that complain about it being 'uncomfrtable' would find sportbikes are pretty reasonable if done right. Me personally, I very much prefer the riding position of a Firebolt over a Lightning, which is similar to a ZX/CBR/GSXR, though slightly more 'relaxed'.

And yes, cycle-ergo.com is an AWESOME site.

awesome site... sent this to our safety dept cause they are all about ergo junk.. they loved it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast