Thread: brake bleeding

I got my front caliper back together no problem, no leaks, so I did a old school bleed method, as my master wasn't dry. I pumped the handle 5 times and cracked the bleeder and closed it and did that so i refilled the master a total of 5 times. I have no air and i had the brake handle adjustment setting on 1 the highest most pull you can grab. I am ending up with 1/2 grab. Basically when I pull the lever back it gets firm about 1/2 way back. So I was wondering if thats about normal, I don't really remember what it was when I was riding.

reverse bleed your brakes instead of the old school method, caliper to reservor...you may still be introducing air in the system not realizing it

I was thinking of doing that, I need to buy a syringe and bad part is i'm in a state where drugs and needles are crazy. But I will do that, So how many times should I empty the resovoir and fill it up through the bleeder? twice?

Inactive
    you should have solid firm pressure by the time you have pulled in the lever approx. 1/3 of its travel length.
    thruster is correct as always but you can also flutter pump the lever with time and patience. use dot 4, fill the reservoir, keep caliper bleed screw tight, attach clear plastic line to the bleeder and place other end in bottle or can, then start bleeding method. a helper is beneficial. fill the reservoir, install cap, pump the brake lever as quickly and softly as possible for approx. 15X, release, wait a few seconds, then flutter pump again, pull lever into grip, crack bleeder screw, watch air bubbles and fluid go thru your clear line, tighten bleeder, release lever, then flutter pump again, wait, repeat process. check reservoir fluid level after having done this 3X. this moves the fluid quickly from the master cyl. to the caliper and releases trapped air in the cylinder. do this process approx. 5X and you will have good firm brakes.

this will work just fine

I will pick up a syringe tomorrow and clear tube and give that a try. There's mixed reviews everywhere about every type of bleeding lol. maybe I will just buy a vacumn pump one so i can bleed brakes on my own for now on too. It always can come in handy. In the mean while I got my bike all back together and wanna go for a ride so bad lol but its icy out and lots of snow yet. I am in need of a belt. I found one groove to have a huge crack in it, somebody was saying on here that the 08+ models have a life time warranty, I talked to HD and they said I would need a service bulletin or tsb number to give them for proof of that, otherwise it has a 2 year on it? Any help would be great and if anybody knows the exact part number of it that would be great. 08 xb12xt uly