Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch Cable Install

I will be installing a clutch cable on my XB12R in the next week or two...anyone give me an easy way to get that bugger hooked up.

If it is the same as a tuber, it was easy.
    Pull the inspection cover, thread the cable into the primary housing, hook the cable lever and the clutch fork, and adjust the clutch release. replace the primary oil since I had it open anyway.
    Later

download the manual (upper menu)...all is explained there.

the biggest thing to remember when replacing the clutch cable is to keep it completely straight when removing or installing into the primary cover. those threads can strip very easily if you try to crank on it while the cable is still bent. thread the cable as if it was a solid rod.

if you disconnect the cable from the lever and keep track of how its routed as you remove it, its a pretty simple job.

hey bitter rod i have a law enforcment question for you.

could you email me @ jtrutkiewicz@hotmail.com?

sorry for the brief hijack guys.

ONE HUGE PIECE OF ADVICE.... make sure that the end of the cable that threads into the primary case is flawless. i just did mine about a month ago, and while threading it into the case the threaded section broke off inside leavine the nut hanging. Fortunately the parts manager at the local HD is a tuber guy and was sympathetic enough to order me a new one at no charge but beware. I was threading it by hand and it was just deep enough that i had to take my primary cover off and thread it through from the inside with some pliers. Good luck and soft hands.

I changed mine last weekend and what I did that worked well was to first start threading by hand and then keep the cable straight out and turn the cable and the nut at the same time until tight. THEN route the cable up to the lever.

1+ 03Firebolt9R - It really is a simple job. After you hook it all up and adjust your cable adjustment nuts, sqeeze your lever a number if times and check your gap at the lever (1/8") when you pull on the cable and it separates between the coupling and the lever. Give it a good pull. It will need to be adjusted a few times possibly. Mine needed adjusting like 4 or 5 times.
    Also, careful taking the cable off the clutch ramp. A piece that holds the clutch cable to the ramp can fall off and into your tranny. That VERY bad, happened to me but managed to get it with a magnet on a cable and fish it out. Scared me pretty good though.
    Good luck, and remember it really isnt that hard to do, so dont let it scare you.

Monster,
    I had that same thing happen to mine, the Nut part cracked at the threads, and was leaking so I tried to tighten it didn't realize that it was cracked, and it snapped off. About 6 months after that My release bearing desintergrated while I was riding, got her down to safe speeds, and hit the kill switch. Pushed it into a parking spot.
    Had the Primary off again. One thing to watch for is the Pri Cover bolts are three different lengths, make a template to hold them marking their locations, it will save you a headache when it goes back together, Don't ask How I know.:o

ophawk,
    never knew that the primary bolts were different lengths....making me a little nervous about that. Guess maybe i shoud go ahead and research that some more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast