Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear axle loosening

Thanks for your reply. Damn, If I have to take a hacksaw to it, that will take many many beers! I'll keep posted how my "Grade 8 tool" & impact work out. This wasn't suppose to have turned into a project!

Ya, its the front axle on an XB thats left hand thread, the rear is normal so CC is correct.
    You said the pinch bolt is loose so impacting it is fine to break it loose, get it to turn once and STOP. Spinning it out with an impact can gall the swing arms aluminum threads with the steel axle.
    Alternatively, theres plenty of clearance for a cheater bar, but pull DOWN and make sure the bike is stable with that kind of force.

Soak the head of the axle too. it can corrode in the arm as well, and I wouldn't be afraid to impact the multi tool. Your grade 8 tool should be fine but I wouldn't be surprised if the multi tool was still stronger. Don't use the 3/8" square drive hole on the tool, use a socket on the big hex.

Anti-seize before reinstalling and follow the procedure to re-tighten. 25ft/lbs, spin, back off 4 turns, 50ft/lbs, then blue loc-tite and torque pinch bolt 22lb/ft*

If Ol' Sanford doesn't have a 2-bearing axle for you first, I do. PM me if you need it.

*IIRC but look it up! Its not much and Ive had to heli-coil so many of those...
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-20-2023 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Ya, its the front axle on an XB thats left hand thread, the rear is normal so CC is correct.
    You said the pinch bolt is loose so impacting it is fine to break it loose, get it to turn once and STOP. Spinning it out with an impact can gall the swing arms aluminum threads with the steel axle.
    Alternatively, theres plenty of clearance for a cheater bar, but pull DOWN and make sure the bike is stable with that kind of force.

Soak the head of the axle too. it can corrode in the arm as well, and I wouldn't be afraid to impact the multi tool. Your grade 8 tool should be fine but I wouldn't be surprised if the multi tool was still stronger. Don't use the 3/8" square drive hole on the tool, use a socket on the big hex.

Anti-seize before reinstalling and follow the procedure to re-tighten. 25ft/lbs, spin, back off 4 turns, 50ft/lbs, then blue loc-tite and torque pinch bolt 22lb/ft*

If Ol' Sanford doesn't have a 2-bearing axle for you first, I do. PM me if you need it.

*IIRC but look it up! Its not much and Ive had to heli-coil so many of those...
    All excellent info Shaughn, thank you. The multi-axle tool from St.Paul says that it's not intended to be used w/ impact wrench, and is why I was going to make my own. But if the multi-tool is in fact stronger, as you suggest, then I will definitely order one. So.... a 24mm deep socket will fit over that first step of the tool? Or will I need to cut off that unused end?
    I hope I won't need a replacement axle, but thank you guys for letting me know you have one available.

Bob: Follow my specific directions above when I was user_deleted. Key is to soak every crevice with finest penetrating fluid you can get your hands on and soak....respray...soak. Just like that. Then put together the below combo in half-inch drive. 3/8th won't cut it. An aggressive high-powered 1/2" drive impact will tend to bitch up the axle drive end, potentially causing a huge problem. And I mean huge. My clever dedicated device is an old-school 13/16th inch spark plug socket in 1/2" drive with the inner foam insulator removed. REAR AXLE THREADS RIGHT HAND....FRONT AXLE THREADS LEFT HAND
    Use a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a 2' piece of pipe on it and apply steady pressure. It will break the bond of corrosion and dirt.

wEl.rmvl2.jpg
    Last edited by Barrett; 02-20-2023 at 11:05 PM.

Great trick with the socket Barrett, sadly out of at least 10 of my spark plug sockets, only one had the square drive holes is broached completely through and I split it doing exactly this job It was just a cheap old Craftsman version I got as a new fresh faced Tech in the 90's. Proof the old tools are still better, and why I never throw one away Maybe explains why my main toolbox is taller than me? Haha.

Bob, you can use either tool as long as the driving hex is as wide and deep as it can get, splitting the axle head shouldn't be a worry. I think the nut (not head) width of your homemade hex will be fine, just letting you know the multi-tool has done well for me in extreme situations as long as you use the external hex to drive it. My go-to is a 24mm deep impact 6-point socket on the multi-axle tool, driven by a OG IR231, and has seen a LOT of buggered axles lose to it's power of persuasion pretty quickly.

and not to disagree with his highness above, but IMO, a good high power impact works for exactly what this situation needs. A high rapid shock load will ultimately need less torque to do the job and be easier on the bike than 600ft/lbs of beer soaked man trying to hang off a breaker bar with a bike on stands. It's why we don't 'push' nails in. YMMV.

TLR
    Just break it loose with a quality impact, stop/re-soak, continue by hand, is my successful method to avoid heating and galling the long threads.

Good luck buddy, I'm sure it will work out!

and with that said, school is out!

Principal Barrett will be keeping an eye on you slackers!

HaHa. After reading John's post (and even after I just built my own axle tool) I started looking around the shop for a 1/2" drive 13/16" spark plug socket for backup plan, but no such luck(only 3/8" drives). I'd need to buy one. I'll be going for it w/ my triple nutted homemade version probably Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWood View Post
    HaHa. After reading John's post (and even after I just built my own axle tool) I started looking around the shop for a 1/2" drive 13/16" spark plug socket for backup plan, but no such luck(only 3/8" drives). I'd need to buy one. I'll be going for it w/ my triple nutted homemade version probably Thursday.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but you may want to try tightening the axle first before loosening. Sometimes that will help break one end free and making loosening easier. Dont tighten too much, just enough to see the axle move a little, maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 turn. IF you can just get it to turn a little, that should make it a lot easier to remove.

You may want to mark the axle and swingarm with a line to keep track of progress.

Good luck!

I got my xbr with no tool kit and needed to remove the wheel to change tire and replace fuel pump. I had similar problems breaking heads off of reverse spark plug sockets etc. I was able to source a 7/8 inch Allen at the All American Tool company in Fort Lauderdale FL. Cost was $23 and it was super easy to break mine using a simple 2 inch pipe. All American Tool Phone: (954) 525-8665. Honestly, I think the 7/8 Allen is probably much better than the OEM socket that came w the bike.

SUCCESS! Thankyou all for your input. I couldn't wait for tomorrow, and didn't want to be accused of being a slacker. Below is pic. of my triple nutted axle tool. Plenty of room for my 1/2" drive deep impact socket. Because I was concerned about the heat from welding the nuts compromising the tensile strength of the bolt, and having an old welders helmet that I can barely see out of(need to order a new auto-darkening one), I decided to generously coat both sides of everything, and all the threads with JB Weld. After giving it 2 full days to cure in the house, it past w/ flying colors. I'm guessing I applied about 200+# of force to the breaker bar. If it didn't budge, I would have proceeded to the impact, but glad that I didn't need it. It was kind of a JB Weld strength test; although hitting it w/ the impact would have been the better test.
    Axle tool pic..pdf

Last edited by TheWood; 04-01-2023 at 02:21 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast