Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear axle loosening

Back story....... Rotating engine to replace rear rocker box gasket....... Trying to loosen the rear axle in order to remove tensioner pulley, my 22.95 hd bought axle nut breaks. Huge chunk missing. Then oh yeah my inner redneck came out, back end of a large spark plug socket fits perfectly......... Invert the shorty extension and try it out. BAM extension breaks sends **** everywhere. I am stuck with a bike on a lift, motor a third of the way out and pissed off.

Thrust or heat. I don't think yours is reverse thread like on the 1125

Did you remove the axle pinch bolt?

Like pos90 said remove or loosen a good bit . ( axle pinch bolt ) . When you get the axle out make sure you anti-seize the threads and the other end .

Inactive
    purchase the finest penetrating oil/aerosal you can find. remove axle pinch bolt. it is the cap bolt under right side of swingarm directly towards front of axle. remove brake caliper and suspend from left stirrup. you are doing this to avoid getting penetrating fluid on the pads. be able to spin rear wheel. now start spraying every crevice to include swingarm to axle on both sides, axle to bearings both sides. let soak, spin tire, repeat. let soak over nite. repeat next morning. then use the ratchet side of your 13/16th spark plug socket with 1/2" short extension, 1/2' ratchet driver, and 3 ft. long breaker bar on said ratchet. it will work. if it doesn't you're not following my instructions.

Love it lunatic, yes I removed pinch bolt. I just cannot believe how tight this thing is.

I had to have my wife lay on the bars to hold the front down while I bounced on a 2' breaker bar with all my 220lb weight.

FINE 230lb

Mine was really tight also. Used liquid wrench, a heat gun and patience. It came loose eventually.

Very old thread I know, but I'm having the same problem. I will make up a grade 8 bolt(head ground down slightly from 15/16" to make it a perfect snug 7/8") with welded nut(15/16")to be used as my removal socket. I don't have the factory axle tool and don't trust that the multi-axle tool like the one sold at St.Paul will hold up to impacting off the axle on my Uly, which is what I'm thinking of trying. My question is; in addition to the lube soaking, is it ok to use my 1/2" drive electric impact wrench to remove axle? Or do I risk beating up the axle end? I do have the proper torque wrench for the reinstallation, but thought the impact would be helpful for the removal. I've already broke an inferior bolt trying to remove the axle, and is why I'm going for the grade 8. It is being quite stubborn!
    EDIT: Yes, I've removed the pinch bolt, and am turning C.C.
    Last edited by TheWood; 02-20-2023 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWood View Post
    Very old thread I know, but I'm having the same problem. I will make up a grade 8 bolt(head ground down slightly from 15/16" to make it a perfect snug 7/8") with welded nut(15/16")to be used as my removal socket. I don't have the factory axle tool and don't trust that the multi-axle tool like the one sold at St.Paul will hold up to impacting off the axle on my Uly, which is what I'm thinking of trying. My question is; in addition to the lube soaking, is it ok to use my 1/2" drive electric impact wrench to remove axle? Or do I risk beating up the axle end? I do have the proper torque wrench for the reinstallation, but thought the impact would be helpful for the removal. I've already broke an inferior bolt trying to remove the axle, and is why I'm going for the grade 8. It is being quite stubborn!
    EDIT: Yes, I've removed the pinch bolt, and am turning C.C.
    It may just be corroded in there. Even if you get the axle loose, it may still be stuck in the bike. You may need to sawzall/hacksaw it out. The axle is steel, so I dont think the impact will damage it. I can't remember if the rear axle is LH or RH threaded, so double check that C.C. is the correct rotation to loosen.
    Hopefully you dont get to that point, but if you do, I know a guy who can get you a replacement on the cheap (as long as its the 2 bearing wheel).

Shut up CoOter.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-20-2023 at 04:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast