Thread: Borescope Rental

Hi guys,

I'm in need of a borescope - apparently the tech last year that did the valve adjustment for the previous owner of my newly acquired (1 week old) R1200S did not tighten the jam nut properly and it has come completely off and made its way into the engine case causing all kinds of bad noise.

I'm getting a magnetic flexible retrieval tool, but if someone had a good borescope they could let me borrow (maybe a despoit) so that I can look down into there to try and find it that'd be sweet. I'm in eastern NC (Fayetteville/Fort Bragg). Hopefully I'll luck out with the magnet, but I don't know....paying for a complete engine tear down for a bike that I just purchased and only has 276x miles on it is ridiculous!!

Ben K.

try home depot

You're going to have a hard time trying to rent one. Think Orielly's or Autozone have one for like 100-129 bucks. I have used the Olympus iplex on mine before at work, very clear image(s) ...just keep it out of the oil.

If you have a laptop, you can get a USB borescope off of amazon for like $20.

Ended up getting one from O'Reilly ~100 bucks... everything in the top end looks clean. Can't stick it up the drain hole - there's a little cover in the way. May just have to remove it (destroy)..

Have you tried going in the fill hole?

Fill hole is built into the valve cover...the guys over on the BMW forum have said that after it goes past the timing chain valley, it'll be forever lost inside the case until it eventually makes its way into the "sump" and will not cause any damage.

Here's one of the halves of the block:

(Note that the block is currently on its "front" with the oil pickups on the right side of the picture. The crank sits towards the top of the engine and the oil pump and cam gears are driven off a shaft that is "below" the crank (note the three spots for the bearings). When the nut came down the chain valley it'll drop below the lower shaft and end up in the maze. Shouldn't cause any damage there.

I'm going to install a magnet drain plug which will maybe catch it one of these days... Still not 100% about the entire thing though. I'm going to prod around with the flex-magnet retrievers once they get here just to be sure I can't get it.

Ben K.

The pictures are NOT of my engine btw...someone else had the pictures online.