Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this noise?

Check out the link to a video of my 2009 XB12Ss making a strange noise then stalling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81-aG2s7ZaI

Anyone know what that noise is? Sounds to me like the butterfly valve below the velocity stack is slapping open and shut.

I'm starting to wake the bike up from winter, but it did this last year too. Happens both while moving and idling. After the bike stalls smoke comes out of the intake vent of the air box.

Here are some related links for my bike issue:

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...ting-bad-plugs

have you tried a tps reset? how old is the fuel? have you checked your ground connections? check the fuel pressure.

have you tried a tps reset? how old is the fuel? have you checked your ground connections? check the fuel pressure.
    I have tried the manual TPS reset, is there a way to see if it worked? (I do have a bluetooth transmitter with ECM Droid on my phone).

Fuel is from late October, but the bike has only seen 91 non ethanol gas for a few years and the problem existed last year when the tank was getting filled every week or so.

I have looked at some ground connections but I am not 100% sure where all of them are.

How would I check fuel pressure?

How would I check fuel pressure?
    you'll need to get a fuel pressure tester from harbor freight or some other source and get a service manual,pressure should be 51 psi.
    if you have manual check the iat sensor to.

Inactive
    agree with brian. sure sounds like fuel starvation and fuel pump issue. the sound at end of your vid sounds like the IEV servo under the airbox cover resetting itself.

From the start last year I had a feeling it was a fuel issue but was pushed other directions. When I hold the throttle there are no issues (at least sitting in neutral). I bet the increased fuel flow with more throttle increases the fuel pressure enough to hide it.

Time to look into fuel pump issues, maybe a clog.

Inactive
    Time to look into fuel pump issues, maybe a clog.
    clog extremely unlikely as pump is car-like in that it has sock filter as part of assembly. have never seen one clog.
    most common symptom of pump on the way out is prolonged cranking of starter to fire the motor after the bike has been sitting a few days....and a stumble or irritating hesitation when off the throttle, rolling thru a turn, then rolling on the throttle again. those typically are the 2 most common symptoms.

Check to see if the boot for your intake is on all the way. When I redid the intake gaskets on mine, the retaining ring wasn't seated right, which caused the boot to slip off.

pump on the way out
    I looked through the manual, it does not seem too difficult to replace the pump. Does anyone know of a procedure to test the fuel pressure? I saw the kits but am not familiar enough to do it. The manual did not mention anything about testing fuel pressure.

Check to see if the boot for your intake is on all the way. When I redid the intake gaskets on mine, the retaining ring wasn't seated right, which caused the boot to slip off.
    Is that the same as the rubber velocity stack at the air intake? I have had the air box apart a couple times, its possible its not all sealed properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast