Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aggresive handlebar pic request

Hey guys I am interested in changing up my handlebars on my lightning for a more aggressive style than the stock ones. I was interested in the clubman or cr handlebars. I have seen plenty of pictures of the bars on the lightning and they look good. I was wondering if anyone had a picture of them actually on the bike so I could see how much you're actually leaning foreword and down as compared to the stock set-up. Is the change in lean pretty noticeable and is it uncomfortable? Thanks Again!

I'd suggest the real answer to your question depends less on how your bike will 'look', & more on 3 factors:
    1) how you ride (aggressive full-throttle, late-braking, track-day kind of stuff warrants much lower bars to get weight over the front end & tuck your helmet/chest out of the wind.
    2) how old you are (old guys like me have wrists & backs that are much less tolerant of of aggressive riding geometries that young guys in their 20s)
    3) the distances you ride (even the youngest back-bone & pair of wrists will protest after 12 hours in the saddle of a bike with clip-ons or clubmans)

1) I tend to ride pretty aggressive hahah, not many track days but possibly some.
    2 & 3) I am still pretty young (21) and do not ride very long distances at a time. Around an hour normally for the max time.

I guess a better question is how does ridding in this position feel? I've owned cbr's and that type of bike so I know how they feel. Is the riding position similar to one of that style sports bike? I am a pretty short guy so I have shorter arms. That's kind of why I am wondering if it will put me way to far forward or not. I love the look of the bars on the bike just wasn't sure about the positioning.

look at the crossroad bars if you can find them
    http://americansportbike.com/newdir/Item/A9074

JMO but I find my firebolt extremely comfortable. I don't know if it's because I'm just so tall(long arms) but it's pretty upright and comfortable. I can ride all day with little discomfort. I rode my father in law's sv1000 for 15 minutes one day and about wanted to die it was so uncomfortable. I don't know how he does it, he has over 60k miles on it and it's mid 2000's model. He's ridden to AR and back to FL.

1) I tend to ride pretty aggressive hahah, not many track days but possibly some.
    2 & 3) I am still pretty young (21) and do not ride very long distances at a time. Around an hour normally for the max time.
    So I'm understanding that you're a young aggressive rider that does short distances? Go for the clubmans! I'm sure you'll be fine, and even if you decide they're not for you, they're cheap enough that it's no big waste to go back to stock if you want.

3) the distances you ride (even the youngest back-bone & pair of wrists will protest after 12 hours in the saddle of a bike with clip-ons or clubmans)
    I don't necessarily agree with this. I have taken my XB on long trips (longest stretch was about 14 hours, San Antonio back home to Rio Rancho avoiding all interstates) and have clip-ons with not a single comfort issue. I almost had an issue running out of gas in the middle of nowhere, but comfortwise I was good to go. On my old FZ6 with the stock handlebars my arms (and feet) would get tired going into hour 3 or so.

I think the fuel range probably has something to do with it too. I only get about half the range on my 12Scg as I did on my FZ6, so there are a lot more breaks. Even if you don't get out of the saddle, just fill and go, you get to stretch your legs for a bit.

Also I am 28, was 26 or 27 on that particular trip.

I don't necessarily agree with this.Â* I have taken my XB on long trips (longest stretch was about 14 hours...and have clip-ons with not a single comfort issue....Also I am 28, was 26 or 27 on that particular trip.
    Sure, you're young, I'm old, rub it in why don't you! :D
    Karma will get you when you turn 40; you'll see what I mean! :p

Haha no rubbing intended! :D I just found it weird that my clip-ons are more comfy than my stock handlebars that had a raise were on my last bike.

rider height and weight may matter also... I am a shorty and I cant get much much leverage on the clip-ons on my R, but the MX-style Superbike bars on my SX provide much more and I can do much tighter turns with them. They feel much more "aggressive" to me than my clip-on do but youre just going to have to experiment.. I woudnt go so far as having your upper triple trees re-drilled for different risers though.. you want to swap them out with direct bolt-ons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast