Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EBR ECM issues?

On 31-Mar and 01-Apr I installed the following in my 2009 XB12Scg:

Buell Race exhaust
    EBR ECM
    K&N filter

And I performed the TPS reset.

The first thing I noticed is upon starting the bike it revs at 2,000 rpm for a bit, then down to 1,500 and then settles around 1,000. This process takes several minutes. Prior to the install I didn’t have this with the stock ECM.

Secondly, while the stock ECM had some minor surging, the EBR ECM seems to have them at several different points in the RPM rev range. Seems to me to be more than the stock ECM.

(1) Are the start RPMs “normal”?

(2) And will the bike smooth out (less surging) after getting some miles on it?

No, I have not reached out to EBR yet. I wanted to get a full tank on the new set-up but wanted to ask my questions now. Since the install I’ve ridden about 30 miles.

Thanks.

It tells you in the instructions that happens. It will completely go away and be back to normal as it adjusts

Which part? The starting revs or the surging?

I only recall reading about the fan will run differently. I guess I'll take another look...

It tells you in the instructions that happens. It will completely go away and be back to normal as it adjusts
    From the website:

***You may notice different cooling fan operation with the EBR ECM for 2008-2010 model year bikes compared to the operation with your stock ECM. This is normal due to the revised cooling fan strategy that is programmed into these ECM's.***

And the instructions I received.

I called EBR and was told the idle will be that way. It's a "race" ECM so it's designed to get the bike up to temp quickly.

I was also told it will "learn" and that I need to ride it a bit more; I was told approximately 50 miles for it to learn.

I was told approximately 50 miles for it to learn.
    thats about what mine took.
    installed ecm,reset tps,performed idle relearn and rode it hard.

Cool, thanks. Good to know.

Just installed mine three days ago.

Have an original DRUMMER and a UNI open air modified system.

- The higher than normal "Cold Start" RPM's are programmed in. I actually like this feature. Insures the rig is warm and at temp sooner and allows the ECM to adjust quicker to any atmospheric changes etc.

- I HAVE NOT experienced any of the surges the OPist is asking about.

- I have noticed that the engine runs soooooooooooooo much smoother throughout all ranges with absolutely NO lulls/hesitations at the proverbial 3900-4200 rpms that I did have with the stock ecm and I have NO MORE POPPING what so ever on decel. NONE!.

Over all, I am very pleased with the initial experience I am having with this. Have put over 65 miles on the rig since installing it.

Adam Wells at EBR was more than helpful with ALL my questions prior to purchasing it.

Double thumbs up and ***** STARS... well worth the $310.00 investment.

Still having this "surge" below 4,000 rpms at slower speeds. It's VERY noticeable.

Working on tank 3 and probably tank 4 and 5 over the weekend (haven't ridden as much as I'd like lately). If things don't improve I guess another call to EBR and possibly sending the unit back.

This sucks...

Hi, i have the same issues. I had TQ hammer exhaust, K&N filter with open airbox and EBR ECM just installed to my 08 XB12S a week ago. I noticed the fan operated differently and the idle is @ 1600rpm which is just a bit higher than before and it didn't bug me. But the stutters around 2000-2500 rpm when i cruise around is definitely bugging me. After 2 tanks of gas with mix of city, hwy and spiritual riding, these stutters ARE STILL HERE. I think it happens because the combination of open airbox and free-flow exhaust allows too much air to go in and even the EBR fuel map was not programmed to delivery enough fuel at that rpm range. Too bad i have no time to do A/F ratio logging on it and i also dont know how to program the fuel map ( i have the cable but no software for 08+ ECM ). I hope it's just simple misfire but it's more likely a detonation due to the lean A/F mixture and that's not good for the engine. I will put the airbox cover back on this weekend and see if there is any change. ( I am running 94 Octane gas, and I tried using the silencer that came with my exhaust for the past 2 days to limit the exhaust flow, but sadly nothing changed. I also found these stutters happen less often in the morning and night time when the engine is cool. Will update if there is any improvement observed next week.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast