Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with the oil dip stick ?

I have an 09 1125cr. I did my first oil change on it. The manual say 2.7 u.s quarts. . I did that and the oil level on the dipstick reads about 2 inches over the full mark.. If I put in the amount to the full mark, It would be about 1.4 quarts. I know that's not enough oil to run that motor on... what gives ?

Are you checking the oil level while on the kickstand?

Hot oil on the kickstand. Don't wait 5mns after your ride.

The manual was wrong that year. Along with a few other Harley manuals. Like sportster and V-rod specs.

Checked while vertical as per Manuel. ..I will check on kickstand. .

Don't forget to run the motor after filling with oil...to fill the motor/filter with oil as well.

That link says upright

Not pertaining to this thread in particular, but in general ... I think maybe these oil measurement threads are getting kind of overly obsessive at times ...... And I mean people sometimes really will go over the top to try and get the level EXACT to the point of borderline insanity ... Remember your bike won't explode if you're not DEAD ON the full mark on the dipstick ... whether it's on the kickstand or not .... your bike's motor has a lot more oil than it technically "NEEDS" to run ... Dipsticks give a range for an oil level because it's a flexible limit ... It's even MORE flexible on a dry sump motor like the XB's ... it doesn't care if you have 55 gallons of oil in the oil tank or 0.5 quarts ... as long as the oil pump doesn't run dry and lose pressure you're good ... wet sump motors are a little more sensitive to high oil levels because of foaming issues when the crankshaft stirs it up and sloshes it everywhere ... (but that would be something you'd see on a grossly overfilled motor) ... and since oil pumps cannot pump foamy oil this would be no bueno ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say it's ok to put like a cup of oil in a motor and run it ... nor I'm I saying it's ok to keep pouring it in till it overflows out of the fill hole and run it ... What I'm saying is make sure you can see the level of the oil in the bike on the dipstick and if the bike is starting to get towards the lower limit of the dipsticks measurement markings ... That's the purpose of the FULL range on the dipsticks instead of just a narrow line you have to adhere to ...

Your bike actually requires a much smaller amount of oil to be able to circulate it through the engine and run without seizing up than it's made to hold ... but they call for much more than they "need" because these motors contaminate/wear down/dilute oil so quickly from high revs, transmission shearing, and other factors ... (it takes longer to wear down 2.7 quarts than it does to wear down 0.5 quarts) .... so they dictate the oil levels to try and make sure you don't wear out all of the oil in the engine/oil tank between the recommended mileage between oil changes ...

Don't sweat this kinda stuff peeps ... it'll drive you insane ...

Pertaining to this thread: that's a pretty decent discrepancy from 2.7 quarts stated in the manual to the 1.4 quarts it takes to put it to the full mark ...

I concur with the discrepancy issue. Changed my oil last night put 2.4 quarts in and I am about an inch over the full mark. No I did not run the bike(have plugs out..can't find my gapper), the bike has been on the stands. Waited well over the 4hrs stated in the manual for the cold check and it's still over the full mark. I put the Stahlbus oil drain plugs in so draining the excess will be easier, but not sure why it's showing overfull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast