Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaned Intake Air Control Sensor

I removed and cleaned the IAC on my 09 XB12Ss and after re-installing it the bike is constantly backfiring and cannot idle at all.

Is it possible that the bike just needs to get used to the sensor being cleaned? or did I create an air leak somewhere?

Maybe you damaged it?

thats possible, any idea if a trouble code would show up if I did? (I do not get any codes)

I removed and cleaned the IAC on my 09 XB12Ss and after re-installing it the bike is constantly backfiring and cannot idle at all.

Is it possible that the bike just needs to get used to the sensor being cleaned? or did I create an air leak somewhere?
    I should also note that I just installed a new throttle position sensor and reset it. Its reads 4.2deg so I don't think thats an issue. Maybe I will try putting the old one back in and see what happens.

Reset the tps one more time make sure you back the idle screw all the way, flip the throttle back and fourth a couple times. The position should be 5.1

What did you use to clean it?

I'm not familiar if the newer bikes are different but my 05 does not have an idle air control valve(which is what i assume you mean by intake air control sensor). Do the newer bikes? Or do you mean intake air temp sensor? That shouldn't cause noticeable issues at idle.

Inactive
    make sure you back the idle screw all the way, flip the throttle back and fourth a couple times.
    what? it's a 2009 so computer controlled idle speed via pintle and IAC switch.

Reset the tps one more time make sure you back the idle screw all the way, flip the throttle back and fourth a couple times. The position should be 5.1
    I can do that, but the manual says between 3.7 and 4.2. Is that wrong? And I agree, I don't think there is an idle screw, at least that I can adjust.

What did you use to clean it?

I'm not familiar if the newer bikes are different but my 05 does not have an idle air control valve(which is what i assume you mean by intake air control sensor). Do the newer bikes? Or do you mean intake air temp sensor? That shouldn't cause noticeable issues at idle.
    I used carb cleaner, just a little on the end of a q-tip and rag. Also, the manual refers to IAC as both "Idle Air Control" and "Intake Air Control". I believe they are the same thing. I think its a little stepper motor that goes up and down. If you listen really close you can hear it moving if the bike is on but engine is off. I have not done anything with the Intake Air Temp Sensor.

Ok, judging by the responses of others I guess they changed the bikes in later years.

I'm not sure if carb cleaner could damage it or not. I always use "electronic parts" cleaner on that type of stuff.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast