Thread: Trying to find an XB, advice needed.

Hi everyone. New to the forum, new to Buells but not to motorcycles.

I'm trying to find a good bike in my area (San Diego, or close enough in southern CA) and am just wondering if there are any specifics I should look for? Red flags etc? Also, I know that price is subjective but any advice on what is reasonable to spend on one of these bikes would be great. I was initially thinking around 3500 to 4000 but I'm aware that I might need to re-evaluate that. Any particular troublesome years to avoid etc?

I looked at one last night that's very close to me (an 05 9SX), the owner wants $4500 for it. It's been down, doesn't look like any frame/ fork/ swing arm damage, very very clean bike other than some dents in the down pipes and a scuffed frame puck (I don't know how serious the dents could be). It has 20k miles and seems solid. I think maybe that's a little high for an 05? Thoughts? Seems to run well..

It's high for a xb9 that has 20k and has been laid. You should be able to find one within your price range.

Look at bearings, brakes, rotar, wheels, exhaust mount, rear cylinder seals, air filter condition(tells you about it's past maintenance history), breathers, see if the fan turns on and so on.

Thanks for the help! I noticed a couple that have had new engines and transmissions.. would it be best to avoid those? What could happen to cause a whole engine/ transmission to fail? Abuse? Maintenance neglect?

I'm expanding my search to Los Angeles and possibly the Inland Empire. Really hope I can find one soon.