Thread: New owner checking in

Just joining the chorus of new owners here!

I picked up this 2009 XB12X almost on a whim. I have an excuse to buy a bike for work and had a chance to pick basically what I like and this bike struck my fancy. I drove 5 hrs to pick it up and surprised the wife when I brought it home. Before I left I said something like "by the way, I'm buying this cool bike for work." She responded wryly about freezing in hell or some such thing. Well I told her so that counts. And she was really excited to see the purchase. I'm still married so I'm pretty sure this is working out.

First day running around town a guy tracked me down in CARQUEST. He saw it driving by and pulled in. Turns out he had been looking for one for months. He pointed out that I had actually bought the police model. It says "Special Duty" and has smaller bags and a siren mount. The bike has sneaky power that pulls the front end up almost unexpectedly. Not a powerhouse per se, but definitely not a dog.

Anyhow I have only put a hundred miles on it around town but I'm loving being back on a road bike. I'll be taking it to Moab with me in a next week on the annual dirt bike trip. Pretty sure I will take it on White Rim Trail and on some canyon rides, though it is basically a dirt bike trip so most seat time will be on the old CR.

I've been reading on here for some time while making this choice and I appreciate all of the knowledge and insight I've been able to garner. I hope to stick around and learn more.

At the moment the only questions I have are on oil selection for the crank case and engine and what can I should consider for a bit more sound. What are you all running for oil and exhaust? Thanks!

Welcome! That is all!

hi,yea they pretty cool toys,i bought one about 3 weeks ago,mines an "x" with modded pipe etc,after a few iniitial minor electrical faults,,i absolutely love the thing,,i have a habit of breaking into a grin everytime i ride it,its the most fun i have had on a bike in over 30yrs of riding(i have owned just about every make and model of jap bikes,couple of italians and a euro),,nothing compares to this..i like you based my purchase on a lot of imfo gained from this forum..its been a great source of trouble shooting guides,,hey i only spent a week on the sofa when i got mine but she all good now:

Easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission! Plus the heat from the air cooled engine keeps dinner warm and the vibration from that same twin keeps it tender, good eatin boys.

Lotsa new guys on here; that's great!

Welcome! Whether you're new to riding, or just new to Buell, I'd strongly encourage you to budget for some rider training (beginner or advanced), & some good riding gear, if you haven't done so already.

Have a great season!

Welcome!

Welcome to the family.

Welcome to the board. I need to get a Uly before all the good ones are gone. Great looking bike. Congratulations.

congrats ... welcome, hope you like the bike as much I like mine ... I never get tired of riding my Uly.

Thanks guys. Just ordered new rubber for it, and my second helmet attempt should be here today. So far I'm just riding with my dirt helmet and my dual sport coat, but I don't care!

My new filter should arrive with the helmet; what oil are you all running? Do you use the same in the tranny as the engine?

Oh, and I learned that the top bag is only actually latched onto the bike when you turn the key to lock it closed. Yeah, it has some road rash now. Dang.

Thanks.