Thread: Suddenly running poorly and running out of ideas

04 XB12S, K&N air filter, iridium plugs, breather reroute, Hawk muffler, race map, 25k miles. I haven't done any other mods or changes in the last couple of thousand miles.

She was running great this spring and then all of a sudden, literally like someone flipped a switch, started bogging down off the line and under heavy throttle, torque is way down, exhaust sound began having a thumping/slapping sound that is different from her normal guttural moans, backfiring sometimes when cold but not always, fan is kicking on earlier and more frequently, gas mileage seems to be down, gas light came on after 70-80 miles since last fill up when she usually gets closer to 100 miles/tank. Idling at lower RPMs (around 800 ) at normal TPS settings then before (1000-1100).

This all started the morning after I filled her up on the way home, so I thought maybe I got same crappy gas. I am now on the third tank since then and have run Seafoam through her. Thought TPS reset, did that twice. Thought fuel map might have gotten out of sorts so reflashed the race map, reset AFV, and reset TPS again. While I was at it I ran diagnostics and checked for error codes but none are showing. Checked that the plug wires were set on the plugs and coil. Changed all the fluids which were fine.

She is doing better than she was when this all started but still not her normal self. Before I start throwing money and parts at her, pulling spark plugs, ... thought I would check if anyone has any other easy fixes to check that I haven't thought of. Hoses maybe? Fuel pump and/or filter? Just guessing now.

Sounds like your ETS (Engine Temperature Sensor) took a crap.

Would a bad ETS show up as an error code?

Pulled airbox to check ETS wires and noticed that the ziptie on the breather hose to the rear cylinder was gone and there was a little bit of oil around the plug on top of the cylinder. Put a new ziptie on and hoping that maybe there was enough of a leak to cause the problems. Wishful thinking maybe. How would one go about testing the ETS to see if it is bad? Still no error codes showing.

start the bike cold and note how long it takes for the o2 sensor to start to read/ fluctuate. if that is good i'd bet on low fuel pressure. what does your fuel pump sound like on first prime in the morning?

How would one go about testing the ETS to see if it is bad? Still no error codes showing
    plug into ecmspy?

if its something that would throw a check engine light, there is also the possibility the bulb in the dash went out. I always pull the fan fuse to see if my check engine light will turn on or not. just had my bulb go out. at 19,902 miles right now.

I dunno if the ETS throws a code or not. I would watch it with ECMSpy.

GTP has a good idea as well to check the bulb.

It usually wont make the engine light come on, and it wont always throw a code. Imo the easiest way way to check the ets is hook up to ecm spy, run the bike and watch the temp gauge,bottom left. As the bike warms up, if the ets is bad or bad wire the needle on the ecmspy temp gauge will constantly go up and and down. The bike will idle up and down as it adjusts for the temp. My gauge would go all the way into the - numbers and back up. There was never a cel,and sometimes there would be a code in the history, I believe it was 14 and said short to ets, or something close to that. If your temp gauge does fluctuate then tug and pull on the ets wire, and see if the temp gauge starts to work normal again.when it was acting up the idle would fluctuate,the bike would try to die when i would ride and come to stop,when bike did die, I would have to full throttle it to start it, and keep the rpms up to take off. Hopefully this may help you

Great. Will check the temp, idle, and O2 sensor activation on ecm spy this weekend. Hadn't thought about the bulb but I was checking the codes through ecm spy, which showed no codes. This morning, after zip tie on the breather hose, she ran like a champ (weird). When I got to work though I was getting a diluted oily dripping from the filter on the breather reroute. Hoping it is residual from the hose. Maybe she is just possessed ; ) I think that I will also check the intake gaskets while I am at it. Thanks for the suggestions. Don't post on here much as it seems like so many of the posts are repeats of past posts but it is so nice to have the combined wisdom and knowledgable of this community.