Thread: Delay Relay for HID?

Hi all.

I got a 35w HID from Kensun for the low beam on my 12R and a 55w high beam HID from DDMTuning. Do I need/should I have a time delay and/or other relay(s) for either? I've seen a lot of posts on this subject here and on the badweb and it appears there is a lot of disagreement. Some of these posts may be dated.

If someone would be so kind as to fill me in on what the current consensus is on this subject, I would appreciate it.

Thank you all in advance.

The undervoltage the ballast experiences during starting is not the "greatest" for it. Will it hurt it? Maybe in the long run.

I put in a separate switch to toggle the low beam on and off, although it burned out after three years. The choice ends up being yours - 50/50 either way.

Also - I wouldn't use the HID for the high beam as you loose the "flash-to-pass" functionality (HIDs have to "heat up" first)...

I do not run a delay. I do let it warm up (bulb) usually before turning the bike over. I have 2x 55w HID. I do not ever care to flash to pass, usually pass without time to flash.

MUCH better at night without anyone around. Can see everything. However, with my low beam on I find myself apologizing to every single car I pass. Wrong housing for HID. My G37 cutoff is amazing. My Buell is illegal.

I've had HID's on my bike for 2+ Years now, probably 500+ startups easy and never blown a bulb.

Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate it!