Thread: Appreciating Buells....price that is!

So I just read a two year old post where Buell and non-Buell owners alike were contiplating if Buells were rare enough with Harley ceasing production to ever appreciate in value. Most people figured that maybe in 20 years, others thought never, some gave exact build numbers, colors, ect.ect.ect. Well, in these two years, Harley has begun obsoleting parts and Erik Buell's no compete clause with HD is over and, as we all know, is back designing and manufaturing the EBR's. That being said, I have seen fewer Buells for sale on e-bay, and it seems for more, and myself, am suprised by the looks and compliments I get from my 97 s3 Thunderbolt. I feel this topic deserves a fresh look. So, what do you think?

I feel this topic deserves a fresh look. So, what do you think?
    I recently asked the same question here and got similar answers to those you've seen in the past.

Having said that, Buell prices do seem to be quite region specific. $4,000 may buy you a very nice example in some parts, but a pile of junk in others. Asking prices go up to $10,000 where I live but I'm not sure if the owners are actually moving them or not.

If not appreciating, prices do seem to have now stabilized. I recently sold a nice clean XB, 2 years after I bought it, for exactly what I paid for it. Granted, I didn't have a line-up of buyers at the door, but it sure didn't take long to sell either.

I think if you're looking for a bike that'll be inexpensive & lots of fun to own, with a chance of recapturing your initial capital back out of it when your'e done with it, a Buell makes a lot of sense. If you're looking to fill a barn with them for 20 years in hopes of getting rich one day, there's probably better ways to invest.

Agreed. Very area specific. Although.. All Buells in my area (except 1125 :( ) have rose in value. People are asking almost $1000 more for them this year than they were two seasons ago. They are rare here though.

I think if you're looking for a bike that'll be inexpensive & lots of fun to own, with a chance of recapturing your initial capital back out of it when your'e done with it, a Buell makes a lot of sense. If you're looking to fill a barn with them for 20 years in hopes of getting rich one day, there's probably better ways to invest.

I doubt they'll ever really be worth anything to get excited over. Stop being greedy and wanting all the money and just go ride the damn thing ;)

Bought my 9R about 2 years ago and sold it for $300 more than I paid for it. That being said its got about $400 worth of parts I didn't get a chance to put on going with it.