Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: S tail on a Ss = XB12S1/2

Well this mode was a little more work than I initially thought, but it worth it in my opinion. Hopefully this will help those who are looking to do the same.

The first thing you will need is the seat rails and under trey from the S model. I got mine off of ebay for about 180 dollars. You will also need to purchase the S model seat release cable.

The seat rails will not fit on the Ss without modification, so there are two solutions to this problem.
    The first of witch is to have a adapter made similar to this one which is courtesy of AnderSTA from BuellXB. The advantage of this setup is that there is no need to modify the seat rails, and you will not have modify the seat latter in the mod.

AndreSTA adapter

This is what it is correcting

This is what I had done. The advantage to this setup is it is stronger and cleaner looking, but you will have to modify your seat later in the mod.

I went to a fabricator and had him modify the top of the rail and add a spacer were the bottom attaches to the frame.

Once your seat rails fit properly you will have to modify your under tray to make room for the rear shock, because of this you will also have to move your battery forward by cutting the metal tray the battery sits in so that it forms a tab that pushes the battery forward.

I also recommend rotating the rear shock 180 degrees so that the shock reservoir rests on the left side of the bike instead of the right.

Stock location before rotation

after rotation

this will allow you to put the shock reservoir next to the battery and out of the way.

I also had to modify/shorten the other metal bracket so it would fit.
    Here is a few pictures of what the tail section looks like with everything put together.

I had to make an extension out of steel for this ground wire

Now that everything fits you can put your seat on if you went with the first option for the seat rails. If you did what I did than you will have to add a tab for the seat like the Ss seat has so the front of the seat will lay flush with the tank.

S seat left, Ss seat right

Amazing!

You will also have to shave some plastic from the under tray so the other tab on the S seat can slide in without problems.

Lastly you will need to fabricate a bracket for the rear brake reservoir.

Thats about it, now you just need to paint or powder coat everything so it looks nice.

This is the end result

Well as you can see it is a lot of work, but worth it

that looks awesome!

Thanks for the compliments guys, now I just need to figure out why it is running so crappy at 2000-2500 rpm so I can enjoy me sweet azz bike. :D

Awesome Write-up thread Nitto! Very easy to follow and great pics. :)

Thanks Steven, that's what I was shooting for. Informative and easy to follow write-ups by other members have allowed me to do so many things to my bike worry free, so this is my way to pay them back.

Nothing is more of a tease than posting a mod without explaining what it took to accomplish it. :(

sorry, I was ranting a bit. :D

Walter

Awesome looking bike. :)

Thanks for the compliments guys, now I just need to figure out why it is running so crappy at 2000-2500 rpm so I can enjoy me sweet azz bike.
    Have you done the breather hose reroute? That will help with your 2000-2500 rpm problem.

Also, is that a helmet lock on the swingarm? If so, where did you get it and how does it attach?

03Firebolt9R, Yes I have done the breather reroute. The problem is I did The Tail swap, the breather reroute and fitted steering damper all at the same time, so I am having a hard time figuring out what is causing the problem.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast