Thread: Miss shift: 1st to 2nd

Hi All.
    I am the mostly happy new owner of an '09 Buell 1125cr. I am experiencing an intermittent issue with the shift from 1st gear to 2nd. The shift 'feels' normal but fails to make 2nd and I have to re-clutch and toe it again to get it into second gear. It goes in no problem this way and shifts normally thru the rest of the gears. The frequency of missed shifts is probably one time out of maybe 30 to 50 tries and it's only 1st to 2nd. I have no idea if I'm doing something different on those times..doesn't seem like it. Except for this problem, this gearbox is the smoothest shifting transmission I've ever had. I can find neutral easily once the bike is warm and shifting is effortless.
    Any thoughts?

It's happened to me on my XB a few times. Just have to remember to be a little more firm with that shift. See if that helps.

Make sure your clutch cable is adjusted to spec. Then just work on finesse with the lever, and shifter. And try the search button.

I had the same issue when I first got mine, it was caused by not engaging 2nd quick/hard enough. Move your shifter so the toe pedal is a little lower. Then when you shift it will better engage going into 2nd.

Thanks guys...I'll try the shifter relocation tip. I was wondering about oil as an issue as well...I know that's a hotbutton subject. I'm currently using Mobile 1. and trying to get the level just right..it was slightly overfilled.

G

Try not to sweat oil levels too much unless they are grossly over or underfilled ... and by grossly I mean you're either overflowing the motor out of the filler cap, or it's not even on the dipstick ... that can cause issues either way (and both are no bueno) ... a lot of people tend to OBSSESS over oil levels to the point of insanity ... and while I know the 1125's are wet sump motors and over/underfilling can be a real concern, the XB crowd falls into that rut too ... on a dry sump motor you just need to have enough oil in the swingarm to really keep the oil pump from running dry ...

Now as far as type/brand/viscosity .... get ready to open a real can of worms there ... everybody has their opinion and nobody is any more or less correct than the others unless they tell you to throw sewing machine or straight gear oil in it ... stick with what the manual recommends as far as viscosity goes for the temperature in your area ... and use a GOOD QUALITY oil ...

On the missed shifting ... from 1st to 2nd you have to pass through neutral ... some bikes tend to hang or resist second gear in favor of neutral due to a dragging clutch (already been brought up) or not enough force put into the shift (also already discussed) ... several solutions have been discussed as well and all should help the problem ... My 0.02 is just to make your shift from 1st to 2nd a solid, firm shift ... like you mean it ... lol