Thread: Rear Wheel Bearing?

Hope someone can help a fellow bueller out here, about how much should it cost to get my rear wheeling bearing replaced? I got a quote for $125 just for labor and he didn;t say how much for the part even though the part should be no more than $20. Thanks in advance guys!

........ Personally ... having done the job myself .... that's pretty steep to change out a couple (or three for the later models) bearings in the rear wheel ... Provided you don't run into any hang-ups during the removal and install it's really not a bad job at all ... Took me about 30 mins for the rear, and about 45 mins for the front ...

The bike is a 2006 xb12ss. i don't have the tools to remove the rear tire. Thanks for the quick response. so thats too much then i should probably look around then.

Inactive
    all balls 2-bearing rear wheel kit lists for $29.
    labor would be as follows: loosen rear wheel...remove front pulley guard and tensioner pulley...remove caliper (makes job easier and faster but NOT required)...remove wheel...remove brake rotor...knock out bearing set and spacer....clean all mating surfaces and spacer...install bearings....check work...reinstall all the above and road test. about 2 hours labor if nothing goes wrong and you know what you're doing and have buell experience. judge from there on fairness of your quote.

Alright thank you for the response guys!

I've done two bikes now front and rear, my 07 and an 03, both with the stock bearings in the wheels and with 7k and 14k on them. Do as Lunaticfringe says in his steps but I did it much faster/easier. Take the wheel off and place it on two saw horses so its resting flat across the tire on both of them. Take a beefy flat blade chisel you're not going to care about, place it through the wheel/spacer and catch the lip on the bearing, keeping a cross pressure on the chisel, it will slip after each blow. Work the wheel on the saw horses so that you keep crossing the strike zone on the bearing, like tightening lug nuts on a wheel. No need to remove the rotor or sprocket IMO. Once that first bearing is out the spacer will fall out with it, giving you no problem for the second one. Clean up the seating area and use "anti-seize" when installing the new set and don't forget the spacer!
    Did the bearings on the 03 in under an hour, that was front and rear, taking them off and back on the bike ready to ride. Do it before they go out and get stuck (or the outer race) in the wheel or you will have a REAL problem!

Bearing installation tip! Find a large socket the size of the outer race of the bearing and a dead blow plastic hammer. You don't want to damage the race hitting the bearing directly, with the anti-seize it should go right in no problem.

I just got the puller from harbor freight. It worked well and I got 3 sets of bearings out in about 20 minutes total. Its about $75, but then you can pull any bearings

^do as stated, recently did both wheels and replaced the bearing spacers as well, don't forget the anti-seize on the axles

Thanks guys if i have to do the bearing in the front wheel i will but i took it to the shop already and should have it back in a day or 2.

Inactive
    excellent post by lowkey and the sawhorses is a great idea. he precisely described how i drive out the old bearings. on rear wheel start with pulley side and end with rotor side. just seems the job is simpler that way. but excellent post by lowkey.