Thread: trouble getting through all gears

Ok so I'm a first time buell owner Unfortunately for me I laid the bike down turning on to my street going about 15 mph a couple of weeks after getting it no major damage cosmetically broken clutch lever and mirror broke the shift peg as well as far as the shift mechanism it self it does look bent or to badly damaged at a glance but my problem is after all was said and done I could only shift between 1st neutral and second I left it at that till I figured out what to do as far as tackling it myself or taking it to a shop but yesterday I pushed it out of the garage to get out of the way afterwards I decided to take a second look at it after messing with it I discovered I could shift through all the gears after I pushed back in I was only able to get 1st neutral 2nd again any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated will post pics later and thanks for your thoughts

Is this while riding or just sitting still? I generally cannot get one to shift through the gears unless im rocking it back and forth or ridding. Its possible you moved it forward enough for the gears to align just enough to shift them.

forgot to mention in my first post it's a '03 xb9s

sitting still haven't wanted to ride it from fear of making things worse if there is something wrong plus haven't really been able to ride although the motorcycle didn't get to messed my leg sure did

it could be a few things. shift shaft could be tweaked. happened to me when i flipped mine. some what an easy fix. just hone the brass bushing a bit as it could be binding up enough to not reset. other things it could be are: detent springs have broke or fallen off, broken or bent shift forks. for all these things you will have to take the primary cover off. try this, go ahead and ride it, after you shift to first tap the shifter up with your toe, but not to shift to 2nd. basicly resetting the shifter to the center. now shift to 2nd and tap the shifter down, but not to go into nutral or 1st. continue this all the way to 5th. if you can make it that far. when you down shift. just reverse process. if this works the shift shaft is tweaked. simply hone the bushing. if it wont shift at all, then start looking at the other things.

I've ordered a replacement shift lever I'm just waiting on it to come but as soon as I get in and switched out I'll definitely take it out and see if a can't shift through all gears

Inactive
    change primary fluid to 1 quart of 20-50 cycle specific oil such as amsoil. adjust clutch pack and clutch cable. lube clutch lever pivot point and perch. do all the above correctly. now try and ride and shift it. if still having problems do what the chief said which is spot on.

Finally got to ride my bike today luckily everything checked out and she rides great all that was needed was new shift lever which I ordered off of Americansportbike.com and a new clutch lever which I still need to get it only broke the very end off so I figured it would be alright for awhile