Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another sticky throttle thread. Lube it?

I can't find anything wrong with the routing of the throttle cables and when pulling directly on the throttle body it snaps right back but if I pull the actual grip and release it sloooooooowly resets and doesn't even reset completely. Should I try cleaning and lubing? Any recommendations on something I could pick up somewhere like orielly? I've seen people sliding a piece of clear tubing over the end of the cable, filling with lube then letting it drain through the cable. Any recommendations?

Anybody?

First thing I'd do is take the throttle apart and clean the area up. Use mild dishwashing detergent as a degreaser to clean everything up. Check that nothing is binding/rubbing. If you have bar ends or anything like that the rubber grip might be rubbing on that, or it might be rubbing on the controls(plastic piece that has the starter button, etc). Then while it's apart lube it with a penetrating lubricant(NOT wd 40).

Another way I've done is poke a hole in a sandwich bag and run the cable through then tape the hole with masking tape so it's sealed. Fill the bag with motor oil and let sit overnight (have something on the opposite end to catch the oil flowing through the cable). This works best as you actually oil the entire cable not just the ends.

Do you have bar ends?

No bar ends. Everything had been taken apart. Previous owner used grease under the throttle tube that was sticky but eve after cleaning, same slow almost non-existent snap back. No strange contact with grips or anything else. Even removed grips.

This little dohickey does a pretty good job of getting the lubricant inside the throttle cable sheath, You might see if you can get an eyeball on the throttle body to make sure the throttle return spring hasnt broken or come unseated.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-...tle+cable+lube

^jmo but I have one of those and I don't think it works very well at all. I got mine with the lube from asb.

Another way I've done is poke a hole in a sandwich bag and run the cable through then tape the hole with masking tape so it's sealed. Fill the bag with motor oil and let sit overnight (have something on the opposite end to catch the oil flowing through the cable). This works best as you actually oil the entire cable not just the ends.
    used to do this to all my dirt bikes, works great

Another way I've done is poke a hole in a sandwich bag and run the cable through then tape the hole with masking tape so it's sealed.Â* Fill the bag with motor oil and let sit overnight (have something on the opposite end to catch the oil flowing through the cable).Â* This works best as you actually oil the entire cable not just the ends.
    Freaking genius ....

lol love the pic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast