Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: XB Fighter

I've been working away at this project. The Radiantz lighting for the tail is on order. They should be here Tuesday. I've been laying up carbon fiber for the HyperCharger insert. I intend to mount the electronics in the airbox as I did in the following picture. It's from another project HERE. But the HyperCharger takes up more space.

The battery from that project probably will not fit. So, I'm going another route. I've been exploring different battery technologies. I built an electric drift trike HERE to study them. With the lack of battery space on this project, I needed to get creative. The 03-05 frames have the hole in the frame we all know about. So, I've been exploring the idea of building a battery pack to fit in that hole.

So, I tore apart a old laptop battery pack to get to the 18650 cells. I then got back on the computer to print out some battery spacers. Here's the result.

This is a test pack for fitting. And as you can see, they do fit! Each pack of 8 is 2.5" high. That hole is 7.5"-8" depending on if your measuring the front or back of it. So I'll be dropping in it 3 packs of 8 cells for a total of 24 cells. They will be wired as 4S6P to give an average of 12 volts. I would be using new cells of course. In theory it should all work out. My Antigravity battery has 16 18650 cells in it. It starts my other bike fine.

When I start that project, I start a new thread for it and log my progress.

Oh that's awesome !! ... can those things accept a charge from our bikes ? ... I know that might sound like a stupid question but I'm genuinely curious ... I figured laptop batteries would need some kinda low current charger to work without issues .... (absolutely no working knowledge on that subject) ...

They can definitely accept a charge from our bikes. There are over 6 thousand of these in the Tesla. Automotive Li-Ion battery manufacturers use these cells too. A battery management system will control the charge and discharge cutoff voltages.

..... Excellent ... Good to know ... What's the CCA output for something like that ? ... and does the running environment affect their service life any??

Really great thinking on that battery. I like the way your brain works.

Looking forward to see what direction you go.

I've still been at work on this project. Last week I went and picked up the running gear a guy nearby was parting out. Last night I fabricated a skid plate for the bottom. I still have a lot of work to do. Here's the progress:

When I started this project I wasn't sure if I wanted to go up or down with the suspension. I figured my other Buell is an SCG. It as low as I wanted to go. So I took this Buell to the other extreme with a Ulysses drive train.

I wanted to mock it up and try to get the length for the rear shock. I plan to order a shock since I have the X swing arm and the S chassis. I don't want to modify either component to get as much travel as possible. I also want to go without a remote reservoir. So, I'm left custom ordering a shock.

The combination looks pretty rough. But, it'll clean up. I still have a long way to go to get what I'm envisioning. However, it is neat to have something I can at least sit on for now.

Hagon makes a shock for Buell without remote reservoir. Its 400 bucks. Nice start.

Thanks for the heads up on the rear shock Nicholas. I've been talking to Chris @ Hagon about getting one made.

Here's the current status of the bike. I removed the rear fender and hand guards. I ordered a 7/8" clubman style handle bars of eBay. They came with a 4-1/2" drop. I could see that would be crazy for my wrists. So I flattened them to a 1-1/2" drop. I also shaved 1" off each end. They feel much better.

I also removed the Ulysses shifter bracket and shortened the linkage to the standard Firebolt or Lightning length. The rear sets came in this week and got installed.

This week I will be doing brake caliper and master cylinder changes. Be safe all!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast