Thread: engine cutting out.

2001 X1 Lightning. Neutral light comes on when ignition is turned on. Headlight dim with clutch lever out. When lever is engaged light gets bright. Additionally, with bike in neutral and clutch lever out blinkers don't work. Blinker relay makes weird noise. When clutch lever is pulled in blinkers function normal and relay stops making noise. I have tried to bypass kickstand switch using a female terminal end. Did nothing when you release the clutch and reach ~1500 rpm bike dies. Does anyone have a clue of what the hell is going on?

Sounds like you either have a clutch switch going out ... or a short in the start/run safety interlock circuit somewhere ...

Thanks what is the start/run safety interlock circuit? And in reading people mention flipping a diode. It was in a Blast forum and I wasn't sure if it crossed over to X1's.

*****UPDATE***** Okay so I bypassed the kickstand switch.
    Now head light and directionals function normal.
    Engage clutch shift into first ref engine dies! (If I slowly let clutch out I can idle along in 1st but can't go past 1500 rpm.)
    Disconnected clutch safety switch and jumped harness at the handle bar. Same outcome engine dies at roughly 1500 rpm
    Flipped diodes made things worse. They got hot to the touch almost to hot to hold. Returned to original positions
    Neutral indicator come on whenever bike is in Neutral.

Should I mess with the internal clutch switch? or is it something else?

There is no "internal clutch switch" that I know of man ... and your bike shouldn't run with the diodes put in backwards ... I'm not familiar with the wiring harness setup on the X1 but on my S1 the diodes are wired directly into the wiring harness ... you can't pull them out and just swap them around like you can on any of my other bikes ...

Honestly that sounds like some kind of TPS issue to me ... do you have ECMspy available to hook up and look at what the engine is doing? ... you could lift the rear end up and let it run through the gears and see on your computer if the TPS is throwing some wonky readings ...

****UPDATE***

Thanks for the advice.

It was suggested that since the three switches share a common ground was to start there and move outward. Found ground just under gas tank on the right side. Touch one of them and off it came! Need to get a star patterned terminal that two wire can connect too. I hope that this will cure it..

Diodes and relays on the X1 are in a block under the seat by the fuse block. You can remove, replace, easy enough, and reverse polarity to try and bypass switches.

Tested Diodes with an Ohm meter and they both tested fine.

More later......

Problem solved Clutch safety switch was the problem! And a broken ground terminal.
    Thanks for the suggestions.