Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Repair

Sounds like shift forks may be worn, either way you've got to split the case to get to it. Invest into the proper tool in removing the retaining rings on the shafts or you'll be replacing 'em with new ones when you reassemble it. A dead blow hammer worked for me in splitting the case halves along with plastic wedges. Take your time during tear down and build up, replace the hardware ass needed or when recommended in the manual to do so. 1211 Three Bond was great to seal the case halves, although 25 bucks for a small tube, worth every penny and no leaks. Clean the case seal surfaces well before applying the sealant with lint free cloth and alcohol to remove any oily residue. Follow the torque pattern shown in the manual when you marry the case halves. Order an entire engine seal/gasket kit and go with cometic for the jugs, NRHS has 'em pretty cheap. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Buy a complete bottom end on eBay & swap the top end. Usually less painful & easier down the road (if it's not done correct you will have leaks & random bolts fall out)

Dealer usually will charge $1000 or more-ish for that.

^ i would disagree with that approach unless you wanted to ALSO rebuild the trans in the engine you removed.

itll cost you every bit of more than $500 for a new crank case, even on ebay. then youre dealing with an unknown items internal condition.

splitting cases isnt a big deal if you bag n label all the stuff youre taking out. its really only like 30 bolts....and thats for EVERYTHING! lol.

i just replaced my crank and everything went back together smoothly. used permatex motoseal on the case halves and not even any seepage. the trick is to let the seal cure over night at least before putting oil in there.

Thanks thrstrmech and gbalias.
    Yeah I don't think swapping a bottom end would be wise, but thanks for the suggestion.

A few questions on your tips - please excuse my ignorance.

1. "Invest into the proper tool in removing the retaining rings on the shafts or you'll be replacing 'em with new ones when you reassemble it." You're referring to Snap Ring Pliers right?

2. "Order an entire engine seal/gasket kit and go with cometic for the jugs, NRHS has 'em pretty cheap."
    So you're saying I need to buy a complete kit, a top end gasket kit won't do then? And is this what you're referring to? http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partsgaskets.shtml item# 88-C9857 - $144.96 - If that's the wrong product, please advise me to the correct one.

Thanks so much guys.

top end kit wont do since youre splitting cases. youre gonna want to replace crank seal, cam cover gasket, primary gasket, etc.

heres the part # for a complete OEM engine gasket kit:
    17058-02D

it comes with enough gaskets/seals for multiple year ranges so there will be some stuff leftover.

but that should get you going. i cant remember if ther trans seals are in there too.....may wanna research it.

i think Surdyke has em for $120 or so.

i also generally always replace snap rings. cheap insurance IMO. but the pliers are def a good thing to have in the box.

Sorry to hear about your trans issues. You are very correct to not
    continue to try and ride. Very bad things can happen if you bend the shift forks further.

Not allot of details here, but I did the repair you are talking about myself.

Take a look here for some small details

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...mission-lockup

Take a look here for some small details

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-F ...
    Locking up the trans like bigflash1 in the link above would suck.

The vacuum gauge was pegged!
    :D

Try adjusting your shift pawl before spreading the cases. Follow the manual's instructions.

When my bikes start hitting false neutrals, I re-adjust the shift-pawl and everything's back to normal for most of the season.

Can you be more specific about what you did to readjust your shift pawl? I've been having this exact problem lately, 05 XB9SX. I tore into the primary and took a look, everything seemed to be in order.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast