Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: DIY Fix: Fan fuses blowing/Rocker Boxes leaking! *BIG*

Mr T, in your opinion what caused the build up ?
    Has that been addressed ?
    Will it happen again ?
    Do you think your Seafoam and additives over the last 3K has helped ?
    I just want understand what you are doing and why .

Thank you
    Last edited by Silverrider; 09-25-2017 at 02:33 AM.

Banned
    Probably most of this stuff is from PCV valves. Probably part of it is oil from valves guides.

I did breather reroute and I'm planning use cleaning fuel additives time to time so I hope it will not be so bad. I also cleaned injectors so it should spray on the valves better.

I think the most significant cleaning result was from Seafoam spray and CRC valve cleaning spray I sprayed in the intake before. I used Seafoam fuel additive and did not see big difference. I also used Gumout fuel additive recently and probably it helped loosen the dirt so it was coming off easier while sandblasting.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 09-25-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Personally I think the ultra blue, or hylmer blue, is the best for high temp gaskets. Especially for the intake seals. One of the properties of that sealant is that it does not harden, therefore, stays moist and helps prevents gaskets from drying up and cracking.
    Do you know where I can but them?

I have this blue James gaskets https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    but they are too thick (have slightly bigger outside diameter) and therefore bend the clamping bracket so they do not fit properly.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 09-26-2017 at 02:57 AM.

I was referring to the gaskets for the heads and rocker box as high temp gaskets.
    I used the blue James gaskets on my intake the last time I changed them. I coated them with the paremax blue and took my time reinstalling them to insure nothing pinched. It was a messy install but everything wiped up nice and clean. I made sure I torqued the intake/throttle body bolts as evenly as possible.
    I believe I put those gaskets in about 9k miles ago and have had no issues thus far.

Mr T thought of you when I saw this video, Thought you would enjoy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ySSEzqEa_k

Those valves look happy again.

My '08 XB12X has the fan and oil leaking issue. Need to replace fan and gaskets. After reading this thread I don't know which gaskets to use. Didn't want to use the orig. Buell set since they obviously don't hold up, and thought I would try the James brand. Now I don't know about them either. Any updates on the James or Buell gasket sets reliability?

Oil seeping from the rocker covers after 11 years and how many miles? I think OE is a fine choice.
    James gaskets are good too, TPEHAK tends to have different 'issues' where no one else does

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Oil seeping from the rocker covers after 11 years and how many miles? I think OE is a fine choice.
    James gaskets are good too, TPEHAK tends to have different 'issues' where no one else does
    11,000'ish. Been reading older threads on here, seems like others have experienced failures after replacing the rocker box seals using OEM, and, with the James kits too. Haven't come across anyone mentioning Cometic failure/success.

Ya, its probably more of an age issue that miles, install them per intructions and you should be fine.

Sometimes the gasket mfg wants a little sealant in the corners, sometimes not.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast