Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Fix: Fan fuses blowing/Rocker Boxes leaking! *BIG*

Banned
    Ho did you remove the velocity stack? I have 2009 Buell XB12Scg. I loosen the metal ring and applied zip tie but I still can not pull the stack. I feel I can just brake the intake manifold before I remove the rubber stack. But anyway I am not strong enough to pull it out. Is there any trick? Should I use heat gun to soften the rubber? I tried to use flat screw driver to lever the rubber, but had no success, just scratched the plastic parts around the intake manifold and intake manifold itself. Also I was rotating the stack and pulling it simultaneously but again with no success. I'm not sure why is this metal ring here, it is just impossible to remove this rubber without this ring.

I hope this is the most difficult thing in engine rotation because I'm stuck. I'm nearly the decision to cut the damn thing off and just buy new stack for cheap instead of spending a lot of time and effort trying to remove it http://www.ebay.com/itm/P0025-1AAA-N...FWDWGO&vxp=mtr

Is it necessary to remove the intake manifold velocity stack to rotate the engine? Is it necessary to remove the intake manifold velocity stack to detach the intake manifold and replace the intake manifold gaskets?

Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-29-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Inactive
    ^^^^^google "spring ring pliers" some call them water pump pliers....ring puller pliers. the tool is a long handled pliers with a large round grooved slot in each tip. typical vendors all sell them. the collar ring on the factory boot is extremely stout. if your photo is depicting an attempt to adequately compress the collar ring to remove the boot, forget it. not even close to working. with this pliers you squeeze the ring, move it up or down as far as it will go......your choice....then wiggle the boot and it comes off. no heating required but correct pliers is.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    ^^^^^google "spring ring pliers" some call them water pump pliers....ring puller pliers. the tool is a long handled pliers with a large round grooved slot in each tip. typical vendors all sell them. the collar ring on the factory boot is extremely stout. if your photo is depicting an attempt to adequately compress the collar ring to remove the boot, forget it. not even close to working. with this pliers you squeeze the ring, move it up or down as far as it will go......your choice....then wiggle the boot and it comes off. no heating required but correct pliers is.
    The correct tool makes all the difference!

Banned
    That is what I did, I moved the metal ring all way up with no issues, I have pliers. But I can not pull the rubber out anyway. For me it looks like the rubber is too hard and too thick to pass the groove easily.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-29-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Banned
    Here is another picture to show haw far I moved the ring

Combination of pliers, the kung foo grip, and some manly aggression should pull it right off.
    The ends of the spring ring have to be nearly touching so there's no pressure on the throttle body. Wiggle it back and fourth while pulling up and it should come off.
    I think this is the first post I've ever seen where a velocity stack has been "stuck".
    good luck man

Banned

Banned
    I have rotated the engine on my 2009 Buell XB12Scg with 16500 miles! It took me a week.

It is easier than replacing the starter and less messy than changing the oil so. The most difficult thing is removing the velocity stack. The engine rotation process for 2009 Buell XB is slightly different so first of all always follow service manual and use this thread only as reference.

Also I have not seen in the BuellXB forum guides the very important step. You have to remove the right side foot peg bracket and loosen the rear isolator bolt before rotate the engine! Otherwise you will damage the rear isolator rubber and delaminate it and it will be broken in the future.

Here is what I found under the hood

Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-30-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Great job!!!!!! on the write!!!!! up pics and all !!!!!!!!

A week!
    Wow, you sure you didn't take too many short cuts to get done that quickly?
    That step you mentioned, is in the service manual. Always use the service manual. It will never steer you wrong. Write ups and DIY vids tend to over estimate the mechanical ability of those watching/reading. Use DIY videos and write ups and pics for a different point of view/reference.
    Manual can be found at www.buellmods.com
    BTW the engine rotation process has a sticky in the DIY section of the forum. However, seeing that new members don't like looking anything up, this might help some Google challenged folks.

Last edited by Chicknstripn; 10-30-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast