Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm confused about EBR & the engines.

I know Harley shut down Buell in 2009. When was the Rotax block last used? I thought EBR used them for a time.

I'm also confused on who built the 2013 motors (1190RX & RS).

And if there's a short answer for: is EBR still building EBR bikes, and also associated (49% for 25 mil.) with Hero? Or is the only choice a Hero now -- if you want an EBR?

I've read where EBR builds their own motors but not sure when/if that's currently, or ever, been the case.

The more I read/research, the more confused I'm getting. An 'expert' is asserting that 'EBR is now entirely built by Buell", I know that's not an accurate statement. I'm sure moco lawyers would agree.

If somebody has the time to 'dumb it down' for me I would sure be grateful. Many (long) articles make no mention of the engine manufacturer -- just that it's a 4 stroke, water cooled, v-twin.

Perhaps there's a thread I should read? Thanks a ton.

EBR is made by EBR, the 1125s used the Rotax motor which is also used in the 1190s.

Hero bought 49% of the company, but EBR still makes their own bikes. Erik provides some design help to Hero on their bikes but Hero builds their own.

49%. I don't think Mr. Buell wants another Harley situation. ;)

The new engines are not rotax. Erik owned all patents etc for the rotax engine, design etc. They gave rotax specs requirements etc to build the engine as they were going to have Porsche build the engines (if i remember correctly) That's why the rs had a rotax but their new rx says ET-V2, it stands for East Troy V Twin

*1125's were built by Rotax to Buell spec, 1190's are now built in-house by EBR.
    *EBR owns 51%, Hero owns 49%
    *EBR builds EBR, Hero builds Hero
    *EBR aids Hero with design, Hero aids EBR with funding.

Super appreciate the info!

I thought EBR started building their own engines(not rotax). Even though they appear very similar, they are actually different (disclaimer, I have no idea what I'm really talking about...)

The 1190rs engines were 1125 engines, disassembled that EBR built with upgraded 1190 parts to make the 1190 engine

I can sleep now. Thank you!

The now out of production, Buell 1125R and the 1125CR had Engines built by Rotax. The design of the engine was a collaborative effort between the company previously known as "Buell" and Rotax. Buell engineers worked with Rotax engineers, and together they came up with the final design. But, most importantly, Buell retained exclusive rights and patents for the engine.

EBR (Erik Buell Racing), which is all the same people from Buell, is now building and selling the 1190RS and 1190RX. The engine is similar to the Rotax, with several key changes allowing it to make much more power. Also, now the engine is built, designed and assembled in the USA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast