Went for an evening group ride a couple of weeks ago. Rural area lots of “Twisty’s” really got into things. It was a nice day and the evening was warm. My fan came on ten or so minutes after getting into it. It never shut off while riding for maybe 30 to 45 minutes. It has never run continuously like this even on hot days.

The ride came to an abrupt end when the group leader hit and killed a deer, (he was wearing full race leathers and suffered only minor injuries) not so his bike.

When I shut the bike off the fan went through its normal shutdown sequence and stopped. One of the guys went home and got his pickup truck. Several hours later after loading the bike I drove home. After the sun went down temperatures cooled quickly and the fan never came back on.

Yesterday was warm and sunny and I went for a short ride in the afternoon. After about 30 minutes the fan came on for only a few seconds then the CE Light came on.

Here’s what I found after going home:

10 Amp Fan Fuse was Blown.
ECMSpy diagnostics indicated that something was either open or shorted.
Replaced 10A fuse and ran the fan diagnostics with ECMSpy
Fan didn’t run and 10A fuse blew.
Did this a second time.
10A fuse blew a second time
Replaced the 10A fuse with a 15 Amp Fuse and ran the fan diagnostics with ECMSpy
Fan ran during the Diagnostic Test but didn’t shut down after test ended.
Turned ignition switch off but fan kept running.
Waited several minutes and pulled the fan fuse to stop fan.
Reinstalled 15A fuse and turned ignition key on
Fan did not start.
Ran diagnostics once more with same results.
NOTE: Engine was stone cold during all testing

I haven’t started in depth Troubleshooting yet. The flow chart indicates several shorted wire possibilities plus possible ECM or Temperature Sensor failures.

Any and all comments and/or suggestions are welcome. Won’t really be able to seriously start troubleshooting until next week.