Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Error codes after flat battery

Part of your "brain" is damaged. A doctor would tell you which part of the brain that is damaged, such as speech, motor function, long-term memory, etc. You would know how your daily life would be impacted and make life adjustments accordingly.

In our case, your ECM (brain) ROM has a checksum error (brain damage). ROM is the boot and runtime software used by the ECM to read/control the all things electrical (sensors, spark, fuel, fan, etc). Some part of that ROM software is corrupted but we don't know which.

Wish I could tell you what the risk is. Some parts of ROM are only used to "boot up" the ECM; some are only used when the engine is running; and some parts only kick in when a certain combination of events happen. So you might never have a problem, or it might fail when some specific combination of events occur (ex, high engine temperature + when accelerating + when fan turns on). Even other people who have had Code 53 and are running fine may have had a different portion of their ROM get corrupted.

If it were my bike, I would be looking for a used or new ECM. PM sent.

Forgot to mention. Regardless of whether you get a replacement ECM or keep driving, you need to find the root cause of your fan fuse blowing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12