Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on trading in a bike

Thanks guys! I'm going to mull your advice over before I do anything. I can pay off the 650 and still have enough for a good downpay on the 1000, so that does give me some options. I'll update this post in the near future.

Well, I did it - traded in my 650 for the Ninja 1000. I worked an out-the-door price that was really good. I did my homework though. I worked up an OTD price that was full retail for the bike plus the hard luggage (which alone go for $1275), trade-in book value for my bike, the loan payoff, taxes and the various fees. I was able to reasonably estimate the fees (prep charge, doc fees, CA DMV fees, etc), because I still had the paperwork from the 650. Then I worked up a second set of numbers that would represent a real killer deal. The second set being realistic, but too good to ever happen - unless maybe you had all the cash in your pockets... 10% off, no fees except DMV, trade-in value equal to payoff, etc. I offered them a number slightly above the low figure and they took it! I saved about $2500 and didn't have to once get up and head for the door. Now I'm thinking I might have saved more if I was a little more aggressive - LOL - but it was a fair deal and they didn't piss me off. I may have gotten an even better deal selling my 650 privately but again, I really didn't want to deal with selling a fairly new bike privately. Had it only been worth like $2000 like my old 250, or a special bike like a Buell, it would have been a different story. On paper, they gave me the exact amount of my payoff (I was upside down of course) but I didn't care how they wrote it all up as long as I got the OTD I wanted. Happy camper here.

Arikam, yeah, my 650 was like a little bitch compared to my 'bolt. The 1000 is a big bitch - LOL! Freaking tons of power and really smooth and refined - both mechanically and in power delivery. It is a substantial bike. The 650 was heavier than the XB9R and the 1000 is even more so, but it is well balanced, so it is very manageable. I haven't had it up in the mountains yet, but I'm not having any problems navigating it around town. I'm lucky I could get this amazing bike without having to give up my Firebolt or my Hawk GT... I wouldn't have done it. I get too attached to my machines! I love the Buell, but it's nice to have something smooth and refined with an upright riding position. My back doesn't like me taking long rides on the Buell (but I do it anyway sometimes!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12