Thread: When To Replace Battery?

Sounds like a daft question but... My battery is hesitant at starting the bike but it still turns over. I don't want to be out one day and find the battery doesn't start the bike and I'm stranded. The bike is constantly on an Optimate on trickle charge and the genuine battery has lasted just over 5 years now. Apart from when the battery is dead, when do people change their batteries? I guess I'm being a bit of a scrooge wanting to get every last drop of power out of it before it's changed.

Inactive
    when do people change their batteries?
    the first time it leaves me stranded.

A 5 year old battery is typically nearing the end of it's service life honestly man ...

A quick way to test this ... Test the output voltage at rest with no load ... should be in the +12.1 volts range (if so, it passes that test at least) ... Now try putting a load tester on it (if you can find one available for use) ... a good moto battery should be able to hold somewhere in the neighborhood of around 9.5-10.5 volts for a good 30 seconds under load ... if it starts dropping rapidly with load applied, it's time for a new one ...

Hope that clears it up man ...

I tend to just run walmart batteries and replace them about every 3 years or so ... or if they go dead and stay that way for a while ... (typically they'll start to degrade pretty quickly after being discharged for a couple of weeks even if you revive them on a charger) ...

2 to 3 years whether it needs it or not. If your lucky you can tell when they are getting week but sometimes they just die with no warning.

Best bet is to load test the battery to see if it is good why throw a good battery out , unless you have the money to keep putting new ones in it.

If in doubt, take your battery to Autozone, Advance Auto, or any major auto parts chain and have them bench test it for you. It's basically the same test that Negative described and should give you a confirmation of your battery health. One of the first signs of a failing battery is a consistent hesitation to turn the motor over and/or the odometer resets itself when trying to start the bike (caused by battery sag).

the first time it leaves me stranded

Time's really not a reliable indicator. I've had an original equipment Yuasa last 18 years, & a ****ty Walmart Everstart last 6 months. Both were treated with the same care I give all batteries.

The only really reliable test, other than what lunatic suggests, is an amperage-load test.

I still have the original battery in my 2009 XB9 and it seems to be working fine so far. I suppose I could change it next season, but I don't really see a point in replacing it until it stops working though.

Is everyone replacing their battery with a conventional one or switching to lithium?

Inactive
    Is everyone replacing their battery with a conventional one or switching to lithium?
    as usual...what Go said. i sell approx.100 cycle batteries a year and still to this day....for CCA...quality...reliability...price...ease of cable connections....durability...there is none finer in the $75 range than the Deka Big Crank. and 100% USA quality. no chinese garbage.

i'm with lunatic on Deka Big Crank that's what is in my bike.