Thread: Carb and intake hanging from boot alone?

My GF just bought a '07 Blast with about 2000 miles on it. It is in great condition. She took it out, and the carburetor keeps coming off at the boot. It has the one piece clamp on it (which I've read others have had issues with), so we will change it back over to the stock two hose clamp design, but even so all the weight of the carb and intake is hanging from that one boot with two hose clamps (hers has an intake elbow and cone filter).

Has anyone made a bracket to help support the weight of the intake/carb with this setup?

The single clamp was designed with that intake to support it. If it's falling off, something isn't on right. The factory 2 clamps were not meant to hold any weight. The factory setup had an airbox that supported most/all the weight

From the previous owner, it kept coming loose, and in the two hours my GF rode her bike it fell off a handful of times. When I try to tighten it all the way down, the clamp malfunctions (picture - left side of clamp).

I just need to get this working properly ASAP - my GF is really upset. She just bought the bike after getting her license and she hasn't been able to drive around in her neighborhood to practice without her bike falling apart (her words).

Get a new bolt for it that you can hold a backup wrench on the backside with. Tighten it all the way up and off you go!

It has the one piece clamp on it (which I've read others have had issues with)
    Bull****. "Others" is like one or two people, out of how many dozens that have purchase it. When mounted properly, there are no issues.

The clamp isn't working right. As Cosworth said, get a new bolt for it.

You could also get ahold of Dan (Thumpe) himself, since that's his clamp, and see what he has to say about it. He has his boots manufactured with his own proprietary formulation of rubber, stronger than stock. You won't get a better boot/clamp.

To be upset about something so little on a motorcycle that is used...is quite silly. Any used motorcycle is going to have little nuances. This here is just a matter of properly tightening your boot. You can see that it's not tightening properly, so either PM the fabricator (Dan) and talk to him or try sourcing new bolts to hold it together better. Getting upset won't fix anything. Putting a stock boot on will make matter worse.

Make sure you're not over-tightening it. I've never seen a clamp do that before.

That doesn't look right at all if you loosen the bolt and hook the band part on the left side down to hook on the center piece on the clamp looking like the right side on the bottom then tighten it up.
    If you tightened it down like that in your pic you might have damaged the clamp also.

But try to get the clamp right an tighten it down first might take care of it.

I'm going to go pick up the bike and try tinkering with it at my place. I will definitely keep you all posted.