, specific, emailed, normal, insights, information, buyers, remorse, compare, $2450, reasonable, condition, stuff, friend, naked, simplicity, needed, purchase, xb12s, absolutely, tubers, fondness, motor, comparison, posts, justice, details, reading, forum, perusing, great" /> X1 possible purchase. Info needed.

Thread: X1 possible purchase. Info needed.

I have an 04 XB12S that I absolutely love. I have also had a fondness for tubers ever since a friend of mine bought one back in 1996. Something about the naked look of them and the simplicity of getting at the motor in comparison to my XB. There is a 99 X1 for sale near me but I don't know much about the X1's. I've been perusing the forum and reading about X1's but there are not a ton of posts. He didn't list a lot of details other than the pics don't do it justice and it runs great, don't they all . I emailed him to ask for more information and better pics. So I would appreciate any insights in the X1's. Anything specific I should look out for other than the normal stuff? He's asking $2450, which isn't much less than I bought my XB for. Would this be a reasonable price and what condition should it be in for that price? I would really love an S1 or SW1 but they just don't pop up very often. How does the X1 compare? Thanks for the info. Don't want to have buyers remorse.

Here are a couple of pics from sellers post. Noticed that the seat doesn't seem to fit correctly with the tank so I asked about that, miles, maintenance history, how many owners, how long he's had it, if it's ever been crashed or laid down, mods, and if he could send better pics.

looks pretty stock except for the muffler. Where is all the bodywork? No tank cover, lower, flyscreen, fender??? Thats why the seat looks like it does not meet the tank correctly.

99 was the first year and what i ride. Never had any real issues. Updates for the X1 where rear shock, oil pump drive, primary tensioner, shifter, isolators. Very simple bikes to work on. I had mine 100% apart.

pur pony - thanks for the info. I've followed your build, which has really relit my desire for a tuber. Best looking tuber I've seen! I don't have anywhere near your skill set, or tools, but see this as a long term project bike. Best way to learn is to dig in and work on it and get help from forum members like yourself.

He did have a couple of other pics of what look like the tank cover, fly screen and fender. Does the seat alignment look right with the tank cover off? Any red flags you see from the pics? He said he just had it painted pearl black but hard to tell from the pics how good the paint job is. Anything specific to the 99 X1 I should look out for?

thanks-
    Yes, the seat looks about right with the tank cover missing. Since he doesnt have any type of air cleaner i am guessing that the air filter setup is stock as well. Also has the buell pro pegs front and rear.
    Besides missing body parts, nothing really sticks out. Does look like something on the headers from being laid down but hard to tell.
    Basically i would say just look for oil leaks mostly. Around the pushrod bases and where the jug meets the head (headgasket). Also look for oil leaks around the shock. Another update on the X1 was the y shaped front exhaust hanger. Also check for cracks on the front engine mount. This bike will vibrate more then an XB at idle but extreme vibes could be warn out isolators. How many miles on this bike?

Emailed and texted this guy four times and no response. May not be meant to happen :(