Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems after rebuild. Blown head breather, and seals, and iffy 4th gear

Just got back home from the first voyage after rebuilding the engine on a 05 xb12scg. I replaced the crank, bearings, jugs, and pistons. I let it idle to temp then cooled it, and did that 4 times to help get things seated right. I Took it to get gas and nothing yet, but after a couple miles of 40 mph (green lights and no traffic) I noticed it would bog down in anything over 1/2 to wot. Then it would slip out of fouth..... anyways I hit a red light and she started smoking. pulled over and the engine blew out the rear head vent seal. by the time i get it home it had grenaded the front vent, and blew out seal. I'm running a purolator filter, and reg 10w30 dino.

What do you think it could be?!

It seems the oil pressure has spiked and has even blown out the o rings on the primary and oil drain plus. I don't even know where to lean to diagnose.

I'd suggest draining the oil and see what comes out. (Recommended oil is 20w-50, btw.)

Sounds to me like the piston rings let go. Too much blow by is the only thing I can think that would cause enough pressure to push the pcv valves out.

Should I be looking for metal?

Being a dry sump system I doubt you'll get much more than glitter, but if a ring let go its possible to get pieces of it in the crankcase. Compression test!

on the compression test.

Also, how much oil has blown out of the airbox-end of your two PCV hoses? Is it messy there or dry?

Did it take between 2.5 - 3 quarts of oil when you filled her up?

There's a small pool of oil around the bottom edge of air box. Maybe 3 ounces. And very messy, I have both heads drenched and have oil leaking down the push rod covers. It also blew out both oil drain o rings and they are leaking. Yes it was around 3 qt, but I had a drained oil system, and used the dip stick to check the level before riding it.

I don't have a doubt it's the rings. Compression test is not fun getting the clearance to spark plugs. I'm thinking just tear right back into it. I hope it didn't kill my 600$ crank though!

Does the engine have a internal umbrella valve, or just the simple pcv on each head?!

Theres umbrella seals on each valve if thats what you mean, Its possible it blew a valve seal out and was sucking oil through the top of the head. You have to dig into the cylinder head anyways!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast