Thread: Stator problem?

If my primary was low on oil could it cause my stator to malfunction? I went on a long ride last weekend and my bike lost its guages then died. I was able to charge my battery and make it home almost 300 miles later, the battery still had a charge when I got home. I figured I'd check on some usual maintenance stuff and I noticed the primary chain adjuster had backed out and I lost about half the primary oil. I was just wondering if the stator could overheat?

Inactive
    I was just wondering if the stator could overheat?
    if you were riding reasonably and temps not in the death valley range i would tend to think not.
    do your repairs as necessary and then start the bike. put a dc volt meter across the battery terminals. at 2500 rpm you should see something on the order of 13.2-14.2 dc volts with a fully charged battery. if so all ok. if not then check charging system.

It was a pretty warm day, and I was pushing it really hard. I checked the voltage last night and it was good. Probably just a bad battery... When I got to work this morning the battery was slow to start. I'm putting a new one in today.

FML.....welp it's obviously not the battery! I put a new one in last night, and now I sit on the side of the road while trying to get home from work with a super dead as **** battery! I might need to look into the voltage regulator or stator.

Inactive
    I might need to look into the voltage regulator or stator
    what you "need to look into" is reading the simple instructions i previously posted. if you had done that and followed them in the first place you wouldn't be sitting on the side of the road....or now contemplating randomly throwing parts at the bike.

I checked it and it was reading the correct voltage, so I figured my battery was bad. When I get home I'll run a test on the stator then the voltage regulator. Trust me...I want to know what is wrong first. I would hate to replace the stator and have it end up being something else. Thank you for your input on this, any help is appreciated

Problem fixed, the 77 plug was melted and I found a bare wire.