Thread: Idle problems...

Hey guys I have a 2005 xb12s and its been giving me some problems. When I start it up cold it starts and runs fine for about 3-5 seconds. Then starts wanting to die. The idle surges up and down for a while sometimes shutting off. If I keep it running with throttle the bike will finally get warm and run okay. Once warm the bike will runs fine except when coming to a stop in neutral the rpms lower from the cruising spot to a little below idle and then come back up to idle but no surging when warm. I haven't been riding it due to I know its not right. Its finally summer and I want to ride! below are mods and things I've done to try and fix it. Any ideas and opinions would be great!

Performance Mods:
    k&n air filter,
    breather re route,
    eldebrock latus exhaust,
    Buell race ecm,

Recent maintenance:
    Fresh oil change and trans fluid,
    new air filter,
    NGK iridium 9's spark plugs,
    Blue James intake seals,
    reset the tps numerous times,
    no engine codes or lights,
    ive reset the AFV to 100 percent also.

My ideas that things that could be wrong include o2 sensor, tps sensor, or who knows? Any ideas of whats going on or how to check the tps sensor and 02 sensor? Also I always reset the tps when its cold and the start it and let it relearn everything, is this correct or should I do it when the bike it warm? Also my bike seemed to start all of this out of the blue one day when I pulled up the ecm to see what kind it was and I also washed it. Before then I never had any problems really. I looked over the ecm again and everything seems to be intact and no cracks or frayed wires. I also have the free version of ecm spy before they started charging for it so if there anything on there I should check let me know. Thanks guys.

Anyone? Someone mentioned it might be my ecm. Anyone have a stock one for sale that is Know to be good.

See if you can bump the idle by 50-100 RPM - that should help it keep stable rpms when warm and coming to a halt - 1050 iirc is the factory. Idle shouldn't be above 1100 as revs can end up "hanging" and slow to return to idle.

I have mine set at around 950 or so ... but bumping the idle up as suggested could help for sure ... also sounds like your cold start enrichment is trying to overwhelm your bike with fuel on cold start up ... you can lower those a little on the "other maps" page ... I had to lower mine when I first got my XB running as mine was making the bike run far too rich on a cold start up ...

Thanks for the tips guys, no matter where I put the idle it runs the same. Something's wrong. I don't think the ecm maps need changed at all because it's ran great for over a year the way it was. I think possibly the ecm may be going bad or maybe a fuel problem. My fuel pump if really loud. I don't know. Wish I had money to go to the dealer and tell them fix it but I am a college student. I need to get this thing fixed though before I miss the whole riding season here in Ohio. Wish I had a stock ecm to try and switch out with me race ecm.

Inactive
    My fuel pump if really loud
    symptoms of pump going bad:
    excessive/unusual noise on consistent basis
    sluggish when rolling on throttle after making a turn or when going up steep hill.
    excessive cranking on cold start after sitting for 3 days or more.

The pumps been kinda loud for some time now. I wouldn't call it sluggish at all. But not running correctly. I guess im a try putting a guage on the line and see what kind of fuel pressure I'm getting. Gunna have to try and borrow a gauge lol

Inactive
    it's in the car range for TBI style injection....approx. 48psi as memory serves me.