Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried starting (accidentally) with battery tender attached...now nothing!!!

Hey Guys,

First time posting and new Buell owner.

Along the same lines as this post, I actually had my battery tender jr. hooked up and (accidentally) attempted to start her up.

Now the bike won't cycle when attempt to start her up. I ran through the main fuse and fuse box and all seem to be in good shape and have not blown. The bike will cycle after removing main fuse but when I go to start her up, she cycles (I can hear the fuel pump) and then I hear the starter click 1 time and then nothing. If hit the kill switch off and on, the bike will not cycle and absolutely nothing happens other that the lights coming on; only if I disconnect and reconnect the main fuse will she cycle and then it's the same thing all over, 1 click and nada....

Battery is still reading full, fuses are good. Any idea why she won't cycle (or start, which is clearly why I'm a bit pissed)? I thought about the volt regulator but wanted to hop on here before I head to the shop.

-TG

It actually sounds like a bad/loose battery connection. The high current drain when you hit the starter will cause a spark and carbon up the bad connection causing no current flow.
    Try loosening the battery connections, CLEAN them, and re-tighten well.

You should do a load test on your battery to make sure it is good before you start throwing parts at it. It mite just be the battery.

I tired giving the battery cables a go...scrubbed with steel wool and reattached. It's still a no go...I did notice however that while the tach and speedo cycle, the did hiatal gauges/clock do NOT come on nor does the fuel pump cycle when the key is turned to the on position with the kill switch on run...

New battery by the way as of 5/28/14...u think trying to start it with the battery tender may have shocked the battery? The lights still come on though...

Check the ground strap on the top go the frame under the air box. 7/16" wrench. Mine was loose. Same thing.

Starting it with a charger hooked up wont effect anything except add to the boost of the starter draw unless you have a big amp charger hooked up....60 amp or more. I would check connections, but it sounds like the coil is bad, check for spark since it turns over

Inactive
    I actually had my battery tender jr. hooked up and (accidentally) attempted to start her up.
    coincidental. will not affect starting mode whatsoever. follow above advice and try again. if nothing jump from NON RUNNING car or garden tractor battery. starts? your battery. no start? something else.

Went through everything guys and still nothing. I tried jumping from a cold car battery, but because it won't even cycle, that was a waste of time. I tried removing the breather cover and readjusting the ground wires, that made the digital displays come alive but after trying to start it, I got the same result-- one click of the starter and the digital displays went blank and no juice at all being sent. Tried turning the ignition off and back on again and I was back to the original issue of no digitals, not fuel pump cycling. Any other ideas before I get charged out the ass for having it PICKED-UP and taken to the shop?

I think what you really need to do - as evidenced by the display coming back on after adjusting some wiring - is to remove the wiring harness and inspect your wires. I know it's a complete pain in the ass but if it wasn't, then it wouldn't be an expensive repair either.

I can't think of anything else that'd be "easy" to check. You could test all the wires with a multimeter for continuity and shorts to ground or other wires - another pain to do, but that's really all I can think of.

Relays maybe? - didn't see it in the posts above, but may have missed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast