Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy, Fuel Pump Question

First of all just wanna introduce myself I'm new to the forum. My name is Bryan I'm from Fairfield, Ca just got my first Buell (xb9s) and I love it.

I had a question for those with more experience on/around these bikes....is it normal that the fuel pump is extremely loud? Bike is running fine, has approx 25k miles, avg 42mpg so far splitting lanes to Oakland and back for work, so I'm inclined to think there's no problem. But the fuel pump is LOUD. I have a jardine pipe and at idle I can definitely hear the fuel pump over the engine and exhaust noise. Should I be concerned about that or is it all good? Thanks in advance for the insight!

Mine is pretty noisy. I'd say its ok. I can definitely hear mine over my D&D at idle.

The fuel pump is loud when first priming but once it gets the fuel up to pressure I don't hear mine anymore, especially over the engine and exhaust noise. When you flip your ignition switch does the pump run and then stop once the fuel pressure is up? Mine started to keep running, although at a lower speed, instead of stopping when priming. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel screen about three weeks ago and has been great since then. Interestingly, mine was also almost exactly at 25k miles when I replaced them. Mine is an 04 XB12S and the fuel filter and screen were very dirty, which might have been the problem but I went ahead and replaced it all since I was in there. What year is your XB9S? There have been some issues with wires rubbing in the tank but mine were fine. Have you had any error codes or run ECMSpy diagnostics? If you end up replacing the rule pump there is a great write up on here by snrusnak. When I ordered the fuel pump he mentions it was different from the one in his post. Here is a link to the one I bought and there is another mentioned in the post that was less expensive.

Sorry it's an '03 I forgot to mention that in my intro. Yeah when i turn the bike on the pump primes and then shuts off. Once I actually fire it up then the pump comes back on and you can definitely hear it humming/buzzing (however you wanna describe it) over the other sounds the bike makes. No dummy lights on and no issues with it performance-wise. Perhaps the fuel filter and screen wouldn't be a bad idea regardless. I bought the bike last Saturday and got it for a ridiculous price so I can definitely afford to do some regular maintenance.

I don't mind the sound it's making, haha. I love that the lil bastard is so loud especially with the jardine pipe on it. I just want to make sure I'm not hearing something that is supposed to be warning me my fuel pump is on the way out and I just don't know what to listen for. Thanks again for all the input. Cheers

I had an 03 XB9R and the fuel pump was very noisy. Sitting at idle I could easliy hear it over my exhaust. The pump on my 06xb9sx is much quieter. Don;t think you have anything to worry about, and if it does fail, its a relatively cheap and easy fix. Pump is available at any decent auto parts dealer(autozone, advance, ETC).... same pump is used on the old V6 Ford Mustangs, just requires a little modification to work.
    I rode my 03 for almost 10000 miles with the super noisy fuel pump and it never caused any problems.

Yep, its normal. The older bikes, I have a 04 12s, are louder than the newer ones. I can hear mine as well while the bike is running. You are good, ride the hell out of it and enjoy it. Oh yea, be safe!

Mine isn't noticeable to me over the mechanical chaos of the motor ... Lol ... it's much louder than any of my other injected bikes tho that's for sure ! ... my 954 sounds almost whisper quiet in comparison ...

Welcome to the forum btw ...

Keep fuel in the tank, muffles the noise a bit and helps keep the pump cool.

EVERYTHING is louder on a Buell. Shake rattle and roll!

I had an 03 XB9R and the fuel pump was very noisy
    Same here with my 03 w/18k mi, while my 08 w/25k is barely audible at idle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast