Thread: LOJACK?

Hey guys. So I live in an apartment complex in a city that has a reputation for bike theft. I keep my forks locked and a rotor lock on the rear. But just in case, has anybody LOJACKed their bike? Or something comparable that doesn't cost 700 dollars? Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

yes contact GoldstarGPS.com

Lojack is a poor system. It relies on the police cars having the receiver which is few and far between. No police agencies in my area have it. The larger cities may have a couple units that have it out of hundreds of patrol cars.

Better to get GPS tracking. There are a bunch on the market. Pay for the features you want

IMO, a fork lock and a rotor lock are minimal security measures, effective at deterring a solo thief looking to ride away on the bike. If you are parking in a lot or the street, that is like a buffet for thieves. They can roll up in a van, truck, minivan, pickup, etc. and 2 men can hoist your bike with little effort. Lo Jack or a GPS with early warning and an alarm might scare them away, or they might be able to disarm. Ideally, in addition to those security measures, you want to chain your bike with hardened steel links of at least 15mm diameter through the frame of your bike to something immovable. It would require a thief to make a crap ton of noise with an angle grinder for at least 3 minutes before he could get it loose. Also, you must cover your bike with a basic, cheap cover. People covet things they see on a daily basis. Its all about layers of security, the more the better. If they really want it though, they will get it. Luckily for us though, thieves are not really interested in Buells.