Thread: eBay Rant

I sell on ebay as do many of you other guys. And I'm sure you all have come across an asshole or two. I have replaced several items due to my screw up but recently I signed up for the eBay easy returns because it seemed like a very easy way to let people do returns without me having to manually keep track.

Well that was my first problem, I canceled that crap after the first 2 returns due to the screwed up procress that insued. The first was someone needing to exchange something. That's fine no big, it said to ship a replecement within 4 days so I clicked print label and sent a new one. Then the guy sends his back but I get a message from eBay that I don't need to send a replacement because I didn't send one within 4 days. I looked at the history in the return and it showed the label I printed and even that it was delivered. So the guy was very nice and canceled it because ebay was going to charge me for all the shipments and refund his money etc.

Well the second guy, oh joy, he didn't do anything right and absolutely refused to listen to anything I said on how to fix the problem and insists that the item is defective. So he does a return though that damn ebay "easy" returns program. I tried multiple times to contact him and never got a response. Said it was defective so they made me pay for the return shipping. I get it and it's fully functional, no problems. Send a message stating that there was nothing wrong with it and all I get back is:

Great ! Then you shouldn't have any problem selling it to the next person.

I sell a lot on ebay and I realize I will run into assholes but this was more of a let me buy it, use it for what I need, and say it's defective so I can get all my money back while screwing the person selling it. Pisses me off, got rid of that damn ebay "easy" returns crap

People do awful stuff like that all the time from what I hear. I never really sold a lot of stuff before but a year back or so, I did a big sell off of a lot of my old and rare video gaming stuff. Figured I'd get the best money from eBay. I got great money and bids went way higher than I expected but then came the fees. Oh lord those fees. I believe they took roughly half to 60% in fees and shipping. I'm scared to go back and try again with the rest of the stuff I need to sell.

I've done 10k in sales this year so far profit is WAY lower than that

That sucks. You have his address; **** in a bag and send it to him.

Yea I have his address but I also have a reputation to uphold which screws a lot of things up

I have two accounts one to uphold to high standards, and one to payback the lying ****, ****bags. People will bull**** you even on a 99cent item.

I've run into occasional jerks on eBay. One guy was an outright liar, similar to the a-hole who returned the 'defective' item to you. I suspect the ratio of "a-holes : decent folks" is pretty constant. I don't do a lot of selling so I run across a relatively small number of weenies.

My main complaint with eBay is the big bite they, and PayPal, take out of your sale. That, and if things go off-track in a transaction, sometimes stupid/illogical stuff occurs and it takes a major effort to get their 'attention' and get things sorted-out.

If I have stuff to sell, if it fits in with a special interest site (like this one) I'll try selling to other enthusiasts like myself, and blow eBay off. So far, I've had pretty good luck selling one-off stuff this way. I do use PayPal, so I'm not completely free of the eBay machine. But even PayPal would be circumventable. I use them because, for the 3% it costs me (as a seller) they provide some surety that I won't get ripped-off.

Alan

There are so many ways that ebay and paypal protect the buyer and completly screw the seller