Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steering damper

Totally my fault for the closing speed to the truck I came up on. 18 wheeler in the center lane, truck went left to pass as I was closing in on them both. I thought the truck was going faster than it was, or he slowed down some. I got to within 40 feet of the truck, and at 75 mph, there's just no time to really do anything. Median wall to my left, truck in front of me, 18 wheeler to my right, so not a lot I could do except hit the damn rock. I got lucky. Bike probably weighs 425 lbs loaded? I really don't know.

Iv got a gpr wouldn't trade it for the world o man. I took it off for a day once and couldn't believe how much I needed it. I'm a dealer dean. If you want to work out a deal I can get one to you for not want they make me sticker them at if you know what I mean haha pm me or just text me man.

Iv got a gpr wouldn't trade it for the world o man. I took it off for a day once and couldn't believe how much I needed it. I'm a dealer dean. If you want to work out a deal I can get one to you for not want they make me sticker them at if you know what I mean haha pm me or just text me man.
    John422 - sent you a PM with a question.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    The xb felt a little twitchy riding it yesterday, I know it's probably the steering stem bearings on their way out but I went ahead and got one of these on order today. My 1190 feels soooo much more stable at any speed, it came with a damper stock. It's not an adjustable one, but still, it makes a world of difference. Anyway, figured it couldn't hurt much installing one. This one below is adjustable and rebuildable, I believe they stated it's a Shindy (japanese) made unit.

Finding one of the LSL dampers was a pita and they were a bit higher in price.

What kind of damper is it and where can I buy it? Does it have damping force adjustments? How is it mounted in the front isolator bolt? You have to drill hole and cut threads in the bolt?

It's a 3 year old thread but not a long one.

I believe they stated it's a Shindy (japanese) made unit.
    Post #1
    This one came with the new bolt for the isolator, along with everything else needed.
    Post #10

TPHAK, it's a universal adjustable damper I've seen for all sorts of applications, (had one on my YFZ450 Quad). E-bay. You adjust it by turning the knurled knob on the opposite end of the shock shaft. It even comes with the cylinder mount, Tapping the isolator bolt would do it on that end, and I bet you have the skill to make the fork clamp But you can find a 43mm (or 41mm) fork clamp pretty easily on E-bay as well.

Edit: Steering bearings are an easy upgrade to tapered units from All Balls. A steering damper may mask an issue but you really should make that easy bearing swap first. Fix it, then modify it
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-09-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Guess the guy isn't on ebay any longer. No feedback for over a year, says he's not a registered user. He was located in MN when I bought mine, I paid $338 shipped for it. Came with the fork clamp, new bolt for the isolator and the damper.

If it is a shindy, a quick google search turned up, http://www.shindypro.com/ss.html.

Banned
    Here is the damper on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/2006-2010-Bel...%2Bdamper&th=1

So what I see you can buy damper https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

54 mm bracket https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

a couple screws and spacers from McMaster, drill and tap M8 hole in front isolator bolt and you will have same setup. But why such difference $500 vs $50?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 09-09-2017 at 06:32 PM.

That's where I'm headed...^^^^

I don't understand the huge price difference. But I do know if you go too cheap on the damper itself, it will have a undampened dead spot when it switches direction, making it pretty useless. Other than that, it's not like they wear out??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast