Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buell Blast speed limit?

I was thinking about this, this morning and realized the blast doesn't come stock with a tachometer. Have you installed one or why do you think the rpms are too high

I had mine at full throttle for 30 minutes straight on the highway and it didn't get over 75 mph.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I was camping this weekend and drove the Blast about 90 miles out, still struggling to get to 75+ on flat highway road.

I weigh about 140 so I don't think that would be too much of an issue and I bought the bike used so I'm not sure about the final drive ratio? How would I check/adjust that to optimal settings?

No, I haven't put on a tachometer so I can't really tell my actual RPM range so I'm just judging by sound...anyone recommends a good rpm tachometer or may replace with one that tells both speed and rpm?

I'm going to check on how to adjust my primary later today. I saw a video on youtube, but doing it by sound is tough for me to hear on the video and I've never done it before so the sound is pretty alien to me.

Thanks all!

Sorry I giggled! An xb will get you where you need to go!

A healthy, properly maintained, bone-STOCK Blast will do 96mph on the rev limiter in 5th. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Only adjust the primary when the engine/trans are at proper operating temperature.
    -Loosen your primary bolt until you hear it clacking, you'll know it when you hear it. Tighten it until you just barely hear the sound stop. Tighten the lock nut.

-IF YOU NEVER HEAR THE CLACKING-
    It's not a bad thing, you just have a slightly tighter chain than most.
    -Loosen the bolt way way out. Using ungloved fingers and a very light touch, screw the bolt in until you feel it press against something. Turn it back 1/2 turn. Tighten the lock nut.

Adjust your clutch at the primary following the instructions in the manual.
    http://buellmods.com/index.php/viewcategory/11-blast

You could also be jetted incorrectly, depending on your modifications and elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by loco85
    Go to www.buellridersonline.com
    Best response in this thread.

Ill step aside on this one, honestly I dont know much about the blast's didnt have mine very long. So I apologize for any incorrect information. Was just going off experience with the one I had personally.

Cosworth - No worries, I appreciate your willingness to help and I believe that's what these forums are for yea?

Jetlee - your wisdom is once again appreciated. The bike has no mods on it that I know of, but I do remember the guy who sold it to me said he upgraded the cylinder (I thought he was just bs'ing me). I will try adjusting the primary and also re-jetting. Will keep the thread updated as I try these fixes out!

Thanks again to all

Do the primary and clutch and see how it responds to those.

Don't rejet if you don't have to. Perhaps open it to find out exactly what jets you do have.

Thanks, will do and report back

Finally got some time to try adjust this primary chain and I can't even budge the locknut or chain limiting screw... prob going to have to go to my buddy's garage and use his tools...and the adventure continues!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12