Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles in HOV Lanes

Well, almost 6 months after I was ticketed for riding in the HOV lane, I finally had my day in court. I'm pleased to report that the charge against me was dropped, but I'm disappointed that it was due to 'no evidence' because the LEO who issued the ticket didn't show.

As a defendant & a motorcyclist, I feel somewhat vindicated, but I still would have preferred the opportunity to try out my defense. I believe I'll keep on riding in the HOV lane in hopes of being ticketed again!

On the other hand, as a taxpayer & citizen, I feel angry that we have police out there charging folks with 'offenses' that they're happy to accept fine payments for, but that they're not even prepared themselves to defend in court! It's also aggravating that they're willing to waste the court's time, & ultimately our tax dollars, on these kinds of tickets too!

If I factor my own time spent away from work & my family fighting this ticket (a $75 fine), I'd certainly have been better off just paying it, but it's satisfying to come away from traffic court once again with an unblemished record of fights won! :D

Arizona has the diamond for HOV lane designation and motorcycle are allowed to ride in it, also cagers can use the lane to pass slower vehicles driving next to that lane.

Motorcycles are allowed in HOV lanes in Colorado as well.

Ga allows motorcycles with even one rider!

Yea, the only states in which motorcycles are not permitted in HOV lanes are those states willfully contravening US federal law which mandates that motorcycles be considered HOVs. I'm aware of cases in NY, AZ & PA of motorcyclists being ticketed only to have the courts dismiss them. It's time for Canada to get with the program!

good job sticking up for yourself, any thing is possible, if you try.

good job sticking up for yourself, any thing is possible, if you try.
    I'm blown away every time I'm in traffic court by how many defendants (especially those who've been brought in on warrants) just roll over & plead guilty, without any kind of fight. It's like they've watched too many mafia movies & believe that there's some sort of pride in just shutting up & taking whatever the judge throws at you; bizarre!

Ok can someone answer this then. I live in Virginia and and HOV lanes have been changed to express lanes and require a ez pass but I do not know if this applies to motorcycles. Does anyone in northern Virginia know if motorcycles need to have a ezpass ... I checked the website but couldn't find a definitive answer. Lets know if any of you know for sure before I get ticketed for this offense

In Houston, those are toll lanes. Doesn't matter what you are in/on... you pay to use them.

Also, Motorcycles are allowed in HOV lanes... but the diamond lanes marked "buses only" downtown are still off limits. These aren't HOV.... they are metro bus lanes.

Motorcycles are allowed in HOV lanes in NY state.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast