, searching, revealed, google, permanent, solution, , every-other-year, common, varies, 5-10,000mi/yr, question, persisted, required, stopping, point, holding, brakes, badly, noticed, broken-common, dragging, moving, tangs, release, support, clucch, adjustment" /> Primary Cover Broken-Common or not??????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primary Cover Broken-Common or not??????

So I noticed the other day that my clutch was dragging quite badly; to the point that stopping required holding onto the brakes to keep the bike from moving. After a clucch adjustment and then another to be sure I got it right the problem persisted so I tore into it and one of the little tangs in the primary cover that support the clutch release ramp had broken off. A little Google searching has revealed that this is not an unheard of problem.
    My question is, just how common is this? I ride between 5-10,000mi/yr (it varies a lot) and if this is going to be an every-other-year problem I'm going to have to find a permanent solution or move on to another bike ( !!! )

From reading up on this problem it seems that its more prevelant when idling at lights for long periods of time with the clutch pulled in. Now my bike has 26k miles on it with its original cover and never had an issue.

Dflack makes a kit to fix this with a sturdier material, it may be worth looking into to fix yours.
    Heres a link http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...-Primary-Cover

Inactive
    maybe 5 in 100 XB's have had this happened. causes?
    happenstance
    holding clutch lever in for extended periods of time such as stop signs and traffic lights

Dflack makes a kit to fix this with a sturdier material, it may be worth looking into to fix yours.
    Heres a link http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-L ...
    ^^

its pretty common.

It's somewhat common mainly on the older XB12 since they had stiffer clutch springs than in the XB9 and later model XB12's. It happened to me at around 11k. I picked up a used XB9 primary cover (which in theory had less abuse due to the lighter spring. Being black in color was an added bonus! :) ) for around $75 and got a newer, lighter clutch spring as well as a new clutch pack and a newer cable with the Teflon lining (don't think this helped the primary but made for a smoother pull). Runs great...Time will tell on the primary cover. I'll be adjusting the clutch cable at each oil change. A badly adjusted cable can cause undue stress in this area as well. Good luck!

I HOPE I don't jinx myself here, but.....! 36-37K miles on my 9SX so far.....all OK!!

It is pretty common. Happened to me. I permanently fixed it. Take a look at my pictures and somewhere I have a thread talking about the step by step fix also. There is a guy on here selling the perm fix.

Just had a thread about this (see "Clutched Up...") and this exact same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Ended up having to buy a new cover / gaskets off American Sport Bike for about $300.

Also sold my old, damaged cover to DFlack (he may be interested in yours as well?), good guy to work with.

Hey I got a fix for that! Also, it seemed to be the whole range of Buells that this has happened to...at least that's who has ordered the kits from me. Doesn't seem to really trend any particular engine size, mileglage or year.
    Hit me up if you have any questions!

-Dave
    robndave.inc@gmail.com
    *Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast