Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbocharged Buell Blast

I've kept a fully updated thread over at buellridersonline.com, but I figured a lot of people here may not know about that site, and I wanted everyone to see it! I've been working on this project for a long time, and it finally started and runs!

I know it's never going to be as fast as an XB, but that's not the point - I have a Firebolt, and I love it to death. This was primarily a project just to see if I could - if my fabrication skills were up to the challenge, and it goes without saying I learned a LOT about welding and forming pipes during this!

Without further ado, here are some pictures! It was dark in the garage last night, I'll get more later!

And the obligatory proof that it runs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZGl9MCHtxg

I think I'm the first person to ever do this - if so, awesome! If not, Definitely in the minority!

-Brad

EDIT: I know it's not 100% Complete. I need an oil scavenge pump to get the oil back to the tank, I need a Fuel Pump & Regulator to keep the fuel in the carb, I need to weld a support strap onto the dump pipe to help hold everything up, and then to paint the dump pipe. Lastly, I need to wire in the boost gauge! But, it runs :-D

Pretty cool little project. Keep us posted on your progress.

O my ****! Holy god!

Its such a cute little turbo! What kind is it?

Also I love the project but why the enlarged 2.5" air pipe to 1" into the turbo? Have it one size through out, it will look much better and the flow rate will be the same throughout.

Probably parts laying around, "budget friendly build", but I truly would like to see it dyno'd. That works probably be a first to!

Alright! Thanks for the kind words guys!

As to the turbo - it's an IHI RB31. Billed on the Internet as the "world's smallest turbo", this thing is TINY!

The compressor outlet is 1.25" tube. I had to get the size up to 3.25" by the time it went into the carb. I could've gotten away with something smaller at the carb (2.375" I think), but the only easy way to pressurize the carb vent was to use a Kuryakyn air filter spacer, and then use a silicone elbow reducer to start getting the size down.

The added bonuses are that the extra space helps act like a plenum so that the boost will be more stable (singles have a problem with boost fluctuation since there's only one cylinder spinning the turbo), as well as helping the airflow be smoother.

Anyways, I'm at work, so forgive any typos or grammar mistakes. I'll see about linking the updated pictures when I get home tonight.

That is seriously awesome I'd be curious to see some numbers.

Btw where did you get that turbo. I want one for my lawn mower.

EBay! Just search for RHB31 and you'll see them.

They also sell the flange kit to weld up to the pipes, and the oil feed kits. I'm eventually going to shorten the oil line and use bent fittings to clean up the looks.

I've now seen everything. Blast turbo! I love it

Thanks! It's been a fun project!

I'm a little upset that a good scavenge pump costs close to as much as the turbo! The cost of the "things I forgot about until now" is going to add up to almost as much as what I've spent on everything else!

I will persevere though, progress may just slow down to a small purchase per week until it's rideable - no more big pushes to get it done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast