Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to mount a tire independently?

Ordered a new tire, and tire sealant from CompAccesories. Is there an easy way to remove and install rubber on our wheels? If I don't have to step foot into a bike shop ever again, I would be a happy man.

Harbor freight has the tools and stuff you need. What kind of sealant did you get? I use rideon and it balances the wheel and seals any holes/punctures.

I'm going to fill it with Ride On too, I heard good things about it.

Thanks for the link Wayne

My friends and I change tires all the time. No need for tire sealant. Install tire with yellow dot 180 degrees from the balance dot on the rim. I haven't even needed balance weights with the latest tires I've put on the buell.

We got a cheap bead breaker, tire spoons, and rim protectors. You can use a shovel instead of a bead breaker if you want.

The dots depend on the tire and manufacture. My current ones have a red dot, my michelins never had a dot, nor did my pirellis. The dot signifies an imbalance in the tire or a low spot and is usually aligned with the valve stem.

Read the manual. The buell wheels come with a balance dot on the inside you don't use the valve stem. I've never seen a tire without a balance mark of some kind? You sure it wasn't there.

My michelins didnt have a dot either.

Well follow that procedure if your tire does come with a balance dot. I havent used michelins since my first set of tires.

Better tires usually don't have dots. I got my set of pirellis on sale at cycle gear so of course they had them. Both front and rear were a little.more than the rear in had in michelins.

Dunlop says:TIRE INSTALLATION (SEE ALSO TIRE MOUNTING)
    Dunlop street tires have balance dots in the bead or sidewall area to indi- cate the lightest point of the tire. All Dunlop street tires should be installed with these balance dots at the valve. All Dunlop street tires also have arrows on the sidewall, which indicate the correct direction of rotation.
    Positioning of balance marks and inclusion of directional arrows are not universal among motorcycle tire manufacturers.

Michelin says:
    Basically mount in the correct direction, remove all weights, put on a balance stand and spin lightly. Mark the top of the tire as that's the light spot. Add weights, do again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast